Anything Political

Let's not let facts get in the way.

Are they 'illegal immigrants', or refugees or asylum seekers?

There is a difference.

The whole immigrant situation is a very complex mess created by UK Govt failure, interference in foreign countries, Brexit, underfunding of Border Force and of course the current govt./ media hyping of the issue as a distraction from its many other failings, cock ups, disasters and crimes.

And we still take fewer than most other countries.

But that's all for another thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

52 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve got an inflatable dinghy and an outboard. I’m thinking of going over to France when the weather improves. Will I be put up in a luxury hotel in Calais?

No but you could make a few bob!

3 hours ago, Beekay said:

And I bet they've all got Smartphones.

Never understood why they were never turned round in Mid-channel and sent back. Gloss over it any way you like, but to me it's an invasion.

yes to the smartphones plus £38 a week to spend on what they want plus free board and lodgings and three good meals a day, no heating/energy bills to worry about, as for "invasion" I was always led to believe is something/someone enters the country/city/home uninvited then it's classed as  being invaded, did anyone invite these people here? I dunno

Rog

Govt. chooses not to allow asylum seekers to work. It therefore has no option but to provide them with shelter and sustenance until their case is decided. It takes ages for cases to be decided because Govt. couldn't organise a heavy drinking session in a brewery and will not properly fund the required departments.

Asylum seekers don't make the rules. Govt. does.

On 12/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, DJ360 said:

There is a difference.

The whole immigrant situation is a very complex mess created by UK Govt failure, interference in foreign countries, Brexit, underfunding of Border Force and of course the current govt./ media hyping of the issue as a distraction from its many other failings, cock ups, disasters and crimes.

Surely you should be posting stuff about government, border force, brexit etc in the "Anything Political" section, I seem to remember a few years ago when I passed a comment about the BBC reporter being very amateurish in their style of reporting about the lateness and whereabouts of Airforce One (the American presidents airplane) my post was removed because you took it as being a political comment which at the time was not allowed, now you have your own "political" thread do you not think comments like this should be discussed there and not in a thread that is about past and present thoughts, memories and experiences of Skegness whether they be good bad or indifferent, just a thought

Rog

• Like 1

Roger. I agree that all political comment should be in the politics thread. That includes comments about immigrants in Skegness hotels. Comments about immigrants are by nature political.

4 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Roger. I agree that all political comment should be in the politics thread. That includes comments about immigrants in Skegness hotels. Comments about immigrants are by nature political.

Then post them in the political thread, if you just put "see my comments in the political thread about Skegness" 

Rog

Not the point I'm making Rog. The point is that political comments about immigrants in Skegness had already been made before I posted.

On 12/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, DJ360 said:

There is a difference.

All thanks to Tony Bliar 

Really Mike?

Albanians, Syrians,, Aghans?

So nothing sticks to the Tories who have been in power for 12 years?

Really?

It was Bliar's open door policy what started the rot. You know as well as me & everyone else this would be a Labour govt would continue with that.

£7million a day on hotel costs can't continue, only the left would bury their heads in the sand.

Anyway my original comment wasn't political it was about Skegness. You have politicised it, typical.

Your original comment was about immigrants in Skegness and called them all 'illegal immigrants', which is both inaccurate and the result of a political judgement on your part.

This is why I picked it up. Far too many political statements get posted which, if anyone, especially me, challenges, then I get the flak for 'politicising', when in fact I am merely pointing out the political nature of the comment.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I noticed the Labour Party(not sure of the name of the person who announced it) are thinking about making smoking illegal and are watching the Australian stopping smoking policy which is being discussed at the moment. They are citing the cost to the NHS as one of the reasons. On this premise surely they should also be considering alcohol at the same time and for the same reason?

@Stavertongirl a good idea in theory but even if smoking and alcohol were to be made illegal, enforcing this  would be extremely difficult, if not impossible.  Also, the benefits for the NHS wouldn’t be seen for decades as diseases related to smoking and alcohol consumption usually take many years to develop.

• Like 1

No point banning smoking. It will only drive it into the hands of the black market. As it stands, the numbers of smokers gets smaller every year anyway. Now just over 13%, when it was more like 20% only a handful of years ago.

Although it amazes me that people can actually afford to buy fags. Last I heard, they were something like £10 to £12 a packet.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Yes Rob., and how much of that is government tax?

At least half if not a bit more, same with booze. Exchequer would take an enormous hit, it would have to be clawed back somewhere else.

Vaping, in its own way, is also hazardous to health, not to mention the risk of the equipment exploding in your pocket. I have never even tried smoking. Can't see the point. I've always thought of it as a form of substitute dummy. Never had one of those, either.

The worst thing about vaping is the revolting, sickly sweet smell it gives off; even worse than cigars and pipe smoking.

You can usually spot a vaper by not being able to see them,  hidden behind a thick white cloud.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political