Anything Political

46 minutes ago, David sheridan said:

I see the people of skeggy have had enough of putting these refugees up in hotels , and bloody about time mentioned this , the uk  has become a dumping ground for refugees, 

Yet army veterans are sleeping rough , shouldn't the british government look after there own country folk first and foremost  ?

I don't blame the people of Skeg for being hacked off, because they are bearing the brunt of a system which dumps people in hotels because it is not effectively designed to process them quickly enough.

We need to be clear what's happening.

Most EU countries are absorbing far more people than the UK.

Total migration to the UK is down...it's only the numbers in boats which is rising and that is because legal ways are largely closed.

We also need to clearly differentiate between Economic Migrants, Asylum Seekers, Refugees etc. They are not all the same.

This shower of a Govt.is failing to deal properly  with ALL migrants, legal and otherwise, but instead of fixing things, they are just whipping up the hysteria for their own political reasons. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

It’s also quite obvious that the government has no intention of clearing the backlog of asylum claims, and is deliberately dumping asylum seekers in locations where the reaction of the local population can be predicted to be hostile.

• Like 1

I went out with a friend of mine to the Rancliffe Arms at Bunny today. She lives in Kegworth where the govt have just seconded the Yew Lodge for 250 asylum seekers all male. Kegworth are not happy.

DJ360

Thankfully my army vet is not sleeping rough but you’re right loads are.

Just a wild guess here Mrs B, but I'd imagine that a fair few denizens of Kegworth voted enthusiastically for the present Tory Govt. 

The Tory approach to immigration is obviously dishonest, unworkable, probably illegal etc. How do you think Kegworth will vote next time?

18 minutes ago, MRS B said:

DJ360

Thankfully my army vet is not sleeping rough but you’re right loads are.

@Mrs B, I haven't commented on Army Vets. I think that was David Sheridan.

However, you perhaps won't be surprised to hear that I don't see this as a binary issue. Govt. Is perfectly capable of properly managing both Migrants of all classes, and Forces Vets. They choose not to.

It's purely about political will. This Tory Govt.  knows full well that those who were conned into swinging to their side by Brexit lies, won't be easily fooled again after years of disaster on disaster, scandal on scandal and more PMs than you can shake a stick at..

Yet still they continue the lies, still they blame everyone but themselves, still they attempt to dictate what the BBC can and cannot cover.. etc...etc..

They are lurching from lie to lie and desperate policy pronouncement to desperate policy pronouncement in attemptsbto cling to power.

They are a disgrace to our country and our democracy.

They must go.

Sorry DJ360 you’re  right it was David. Apologies but your input is good.

• Like 1

I'm no special fan of Gary Lineker, or of football for that matter, but the reaction of both Govt. and their fellow travellers such as the DUP to Lineker's comments on Suella Braverman's language just serves to reinforce the point that the Tories are operating a borderline fascist regime.

They have the cheek to characterise any and all opposition as 'woke', or 'Lefties', when we know full well that the BBC is full of Tories, installed by Tories.

The BBC chair was involved in dodgy dealings with the Tories. Question Time host and thinly disguised Tory Fiona Bruce is married to the bloke who handles Tory advertising. The vast majority of Tory political commentators and editorial staff have links to the Tories or are openly Tory.

But when Lineker quite rightly calls out Braverman's use of language  ( Not the first time she's been criticicised for intemperate utterings ) the Tory lie machine goes into overdrive claiming that the BBC is some sort of Commie Cell.

Thing is they've shot themselves in the foot as Lineker has drawn huge support.

And today, when the intellectually challenged Penny Mordaunt attempted a clumsy, football pun laden attack on Lineker, he shut her down by simply pointing out that he's more successful in the penalty box than she is at the dispatch box and sending her best wishes. :laugh:

I read on a placard somewhere, "The only good Tory is a Suppository". But I  couldn't possibly comment.

Not heard that before.

Meanwhile, in response to Sunak and Braverman’s clumsy attacks on ‘lefty lawyers’, the Bar Council, which represents Barristers in England and Wales, commented that “…the attacks by Sunak and Braverman betrayed “a startling and regrettable ignorance” of the role of lawyers representing clients within the legal framework created by parliament.”

There are suggestions that Braverman should lose her status as KC - which she only got awarded when she became Attorney General and didn’t actually earn the hard way.

• Like 1

Just watching Question Time. That crook Jenryk has popped up again as one of the Tories' endlessly re-cycled 'all purpose' ministers. This time he's Minister for Small Boats or somesuch, which must hack him off cf. his previous  more lucrative scams. Madely has set himself up as 'apolitical'. Can he redeem himself? He's doing OK so far ..much to my surprise. 

No views on the Lineker debacle?

Right. So your jealousy of his income prevents you from examining the point he is making?

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

So your jealousy of his income prevents you from examining the point he is making?

No, not jealous, he is just an overpaid pontificating pratt whose views I am not the slightest bit interested in on football or much of anything else.

Something needs to be done about the problem so instead of using an ill-chosen analogy why doesn't he offer up a solution?

Whether you like it or not the solution used in Australia (similar to the one proposed in the UK) it actually stopped the boats and we did not reduce our migrant intake we just made them apply for entry through the proper channels. The only thing wrong with our solution was that it took far too long to determine some of the cases. If there is any doubt that they are genuine refugees we should let then in on the understanding that if they put a foot wrong in a criminal sense they would be immediately deported.

Don't really like ''Linekar'' seems a bit up his sen'' but i don't know what all the fuss is about..........Can't see how anything was aimed at the ''Jews'' probs with Germany.........We have floods..Fires...Wars  all over the world...and this about 'Linekars'' anti Conservative remarks makes the main Headlines........

• Like 3

As I don't follow football or Lineker (or any other sport) I missed his comments and only caught the fuss about it after.

The Beeb are in a Loose / Loose situation.

Wrong if they do something, wrong if they don't.

Regarding the action the Beeb have taken, it all depends on what's in Lineker's contract, something which until recent times would have remained private, but expect a full copy if it to be leaked in the next days / weeks by someone "in the Public Interest".

Gary Lineker isn’t employed by the BBC, he’s freelance. I see that most of the other pundits on the programme have said they won’t appear and some football clubs have refused to speak to the BBC post matches.

• Like 1

Yes Mrs B, Lineker is freelance, under contract, but not totally free.

He'll have terms and conditions in his contract about behaviour on and off the screen.

I doubt the Beeb can or will penalise him financially, depends on his terms, but if they do no doubt it will probably end up in court.

@ Oz.

We could argue for a very long time about ways of solving the UK's immigration issues, but that is not the issue here.

Lineker is being attacked for criticising the language used by the Home Secretary. Braverman has been deliberately  using offensive, inflammatory and inappropriate language in the HOC ever since she became Home Secretary. Anyone who has witnessed her performances on Prime Minister's Questions knows this. She has no grounds to complain when a PRIVATE CITIZEN uses his own PRIVATE Twitter feed to express his OWN PRIVATE VIEWS.

In addition, the BBC has no right to censor Lineker's private Twitter feed.

Also, the fact that a whole raft of BBC presenters who all just happen to be Tory supporters, including Andrew Neill, Fiona Bruce, Jeremy Clarkson etc., etc.  have routinely made far more biased and inflammatory comments without censure. In fact Kuenssberg, another bona fide Tory is still in post ( and promoted) after deliberately doctoring commentary by Corbyn to cast him in a bad light.

The BBC is run by the Tory Party, with both its Chair and DG being Tory donors ( and worse )  BBC presenters are clearly only required to maintain silence about Tory actions. They can say and do what they like re: the opposition.

4 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

As I don't follow football or Lineker (or any other sport) I missed his comments and only caught the fuss about it after.

The Beeb are in a Loose / Loose situation.

Wrong if they do something, wrong if they don't.

His comments were not made on the BBC or in a sport context. They were made on his own private Twitter feed.

4 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

According to the media Gary Lineker is paid $1.35 million pounds by the BBC.................For what?

Irrelevant to the issue 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Lineker and Co.

Do we really want to listen to this inane talking head drivel anyway?

Get rid!

Again, irrelevant.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

He used to come to my local, sometimes with David Gower, as they shared the same agent, Jon Holmes, who lived in the village. Never liked the guy, even less so since he grew that stupid facial hair which makes him look like a dodgy moneylender!

I too do not follow football and have at best a neutral view of Lineker as a person. However, this row is not about football, salaries etc. It is about Govt. attempts to use their Political control of the BBC to suppress criticism of their utterances, language and policies.

Very important principles are at stake here.