So interesting to see how buildings people and cars were far more individual than the things have become.

Buildings these days seem bland and uninviting, cars are very similar to one another and as for people...............

Living in Woodthorpe until 1962 the pictures of Sherwood evoked memories from when I travelled on the ‘bus to and from Nottingham. I recall many visits to the Metropole and Roxy cinemas, often in the back row! In later years my company was in Basford, at the bottom end of Haydn Road, so Sherwood was the usual place for shopping and occasional lunchtime dining. 

On 1/21/2023 at 9:49 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The first 20-ish of the photos all show places where Ben probably worked and chatted up the ladies.

Certainly did CT........the golden mile along Mansfield road from Haydn road to Daybrook.......Two Farrands shops.....a Marsdens and a Thrifty...even a coop worked in all of em..........great days and nights....Two wives several girls dated from other shops...Britons fruit and veg....Pork Farms......Elmo (remember them?)............caught lots of shoplifters along that road too...One had famous Prime Ministers name.. nice bloke.....also dated a girl who worked in Stumps on Haydn road....think they made Cricket bats?  :)

In fact that little stretch of road holds so many memories.....could do a whole thread of it.......i wont cos you'd never believe most of it.........happy days all in the 60s and a little bit of 90s.......

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...