The times I went by this place on the corner of Carlton Hill and Porchester Road , initially when a lad on the 25 bus to and from Mapperley and then when I lived in Thorneywood and drove to West Bridgford each day .

Was speaking to my brother recently , who was a school pal at Henry Mellish of organist Dave Rowberry , (who later replaced Alan Price in The Animals group) and he told me Dave Rowberry's dad worked in that old corrugated roofed , former chapel that was Henry Groves Organ Works .

2_i35922733_ONES_Andy_Smart_takes_a_look

• Like 1

Perhaps slight name change ?

I wondered if it said something like Carlton Road West ?

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I was in that area was as a conductor on the 39 trolleybus in 1962.

The trolley turned left onto Cavendish road on the left and that was the last stop. The bus did a U turn and was then ready to do the 39 to Wollaton Park, (Middleton boulevard). Thanks CT, much obliged.

Thanks for that CT., I owe you one. That picture suddenly brought all the memories flooding back. Aahhhh, Nottstalgia at it's best.

Yours truly, one happy bunny.!

On 2/1/2023 at 10:20 PM, Beekay said:

Last time I was in that area was as a conductor on the 39 trolleybus in 1962.

The trolley turned left onto Cavendish road on the left and that was the last stop. The bus did a U turn and was then ready to do the 39 to Wollaton Park, (Middleton boulevard). Thanks CT, much obliged.

There was a seat bench by that bus stop at the bottom of Cavendish Rd. It was where I proposed to Mrs PP:rolleyes:

• Like 2
On 2/1/2023 at 9:10 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, they are the same scene about 60 years apart. The pub (white building) in the centre of the old photo is just visible in the distance in the new version.

The Blacks Head, went from a face to a horse, and then a generic throw away with frosted new windows , which is now up for sale?lease

I recall an old boy telling me that what is the modern day Costa and to the right of pic, was were he watered his horse,

I do know he was a milkman about 120 years ago,

On 1/21/2023 at 5:44 PM, DAVIDW said:

The times I went by this place on the corner of Carlton Hill and Porchester Road , initially when a lad on the 25 bus to and from Mapperley and then when I lived in Thorneywood and drove to West Bridgford each day .

Was speaking to my brother recently , who was a school pal at Henry Mellish of organist Dave Rowberry , (who later replaced Alan Price in The Animals group) and he told me Dave Rowberry's dad worked in that old corrugated roofed , former chapel that was Henry Groves Organ Works .

2_i35922733_ONES_Andy_Smart_takes_a_look

Many years ago, I'm sure i read that the Thorneywood Station, was a distribution point for injured WW1 soldiers, still looking for clarification.

7 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Can anyone remember a Jim Hatton who had a garden centre on Cavendish rd. in the 50s and 60s he was my dads uncle.

Do you have a number? while not a Garden Centre, i recall i family (Council House) just to left of the cut-through, Nursery Drive? that grew fresh veg, and displayed on the the street for the community, this was early eighties,

9 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Can anyone remember a Jim Hatton who had a garden centre on Cavendish rd. in the 50s and 60s he was my dads uncle.

I thought I remembered this subject coming up before. Unfortunately there still seems to be no-one who remembers.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/7214-dunstan-street-netherfield/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-676595