On 1/24/2023 at 10:42 AM, plantfit said:

I remember when I was a kid looking in shop windows at all the goodies on display, there doesn't seem to be the same attention to detail these day in shop windows, maybe clothes shops but I'm thinking about the smaller shops, butchers seem to be the main window dressers today, anyway I found these couple of photo's when I was going through my collection, it is a real shop window however the display is on printed paper stuck in the window (if you understand me) now, where's our Ben for comparison prices with Marsdens

Worksop_12.09_(2).jpg

Rog

Got me new glasses on Rog......and blimey those prices are even afore my time...... in about 1963 Marsdens bacon suppliers either Bostocks or Lovell and Christmas promoted in a big way ''Ulster Bacon'' and i was asked to dress about 10 of Marsdens/Farrands windows featuring ''Ulster bacon''....did it for a week and treated like a star.......not that i like being a ''Front row Harry''...you understand...lol.....oh yes and got £10 EXTRA on my wages.......

Nice one Ben, always good to get a bit extra if you know what I mean slywink, wasn't sure of the date of the window dressing, like I say it was a printed paper affair that was stuck to the inside of the window. looked good though and probably created a bit of a talking point at the time especially with older customers

Rog

There is a bit clearer picture of the SUN tin in the second picture CT, could well be tinned fruit as Jill suggested

Rog

On 1/24/2023 at 4:11 PM, MRS B said:

weren’t those tubes called Anson tubes?

Apparently, they were known as Lamson pneumatic systems, invented by William Stickney Lamson who was a shopkeeper. As a child, I wish he hadn't bothered!

• Like 1

I think the example in the picture I posted is/was gravity fed after the initial launch by some for of catapult system but I do remember the pneumatic/vacuum operated system, there was a few in the bigger shops in Skegness when I was a kid, always fascinated by them

Rog

That solves it then Jill Sparrow, can understand why you were scared by them, they were quite loud. Great invention by Lamson though.

18 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Wasn't it tinned fruit? I have a vague recollection of seeing such tins.

Pretty sure it was ''Sun Valley''  tinned fruit from South Africa.......