Forward planning for 2023

Now is the time to plan your gardening year folks. Think what you eat if you are growing veg or if you are wanting to change your floral, shrub and summer bulbs in your garden. Nothing wrong with ordering seeds now. Always have a plan and don’t start seeds off too soon. Yes you can germinate them inside but if you are not careful they will bolt while we have the heating on, then you’re stuck as to where to put them. Unfortunately there is a thin line in the UK between planting too early or late with the daylight duration and ripening potential later. Also late frosts around May. If only we knew ahead of time eh?

Let me know if you need any help. 

• Like 1

Beekay, Mrs B originates from what I was called at work, wife of Mr B. Don’t ever think I was ever Mrs PT although did love trampolining back in the day!  Haven’t turned into Percy Thrower have always  loved raising and growing plants (particularly roses) going back to when we had a veg garden at Tollerton in my early years. The rose garden at the house has now turned into a parking lot. Have all my dads rose species at my allotment - Ena Harkness, Danse de Feur Superstar and new David Austin varieties like Judi Dench, Darcey Bussell and the one that I love the most for the scent Gertrude Jekyll.

will post a photo in the Summer when my roses are in full bloom

A recently deceased friend has a Gertrude Jekyll beautiful climbing specimen in her garden.  Would it be wrong for me to nab it when nobody’s looking?!  My Dad was an avid Rose grower and did his own budding, usually pinching them from Wheatcroft or Gregory’s fields.    Our garden was absolutely full of rose bushes.  I’ve still got all his Rose Annuals on our bookshelves, going back to the 50s and 60s.  Unfortunately roses don’t grow very well in the soil where we live.   However, we’ve got a few brave little daffodils blooming already, the same clump that flower every January.  

• Like 2

Just go for it Lizzie, If your friend is deceased I'm sure she/he would be more than pleased for you to have something to remember them by

Rog

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Beekay said:

So MrsB., your not Mrs Beaton after all, but Mrs Percy Thrower.thumbsup

Xx

MrsB threw her cookbook away and donned gardening gloves !

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have seen my first bees in the garden today. Hooray!

• Like 1

It was a big bumbly, the bee’s knees in fact. On my Hellebores.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MRS B said:

It was a big bumbly, the bee’s knees in fact. On my Hellebores.

Sounds like it was a B52 bomber !

• Like 1