Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

Went a couple of times when it started having punk bands performing. Saw Siouxsie & the Banshees and Sham 69 there in 1978 (I think).

With all the idiots ignoring the music, “pogoing” and knocking into everyone, I soon realised it wasn’t for me!

Just now, Rob.L said:

Went a couple of times when it started having punk bands performing. Saw Siouxsie & the Banshees and Sham 69 there in 1978 (I think).

With all the idiots ignoring the music, “pogoing” and knocking into everyone, I soon realised it wasn’t for me!

That sounds amazing - by that I mean the music not the idiots! But I couldn't believe the list of bands I saw everyone from Wayne County to John Cooper Clark to Buzzcocks. 

4 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

They did go on to have some bands who went on to make it - The Damned, Simple Minds, Toyah, The Cure, etc.

Wow, I didn't realise they had The Cure! I never knew any of this until today when I found the poster for the Wayne County gig. I was trying to find out what happened to it post-1975 when it was being marketed as a caberat club for 'those who like the finer things in life' - I kid you not that was the tag line!

I can remember the Sandpiper in the early 70’s but don’t think they had punk bands then or not when I went anyway. It was just a club.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s
3 hours ago, Carolyn1985 said:

Wow, I didn't realise they had The Cure! I never knew any of this until today when I found the poster for the Wayne County gig. I was trying to find out what happened to it post-1975 when it was being marketed as a caberat club for 'those who like the finer things in life' - I kid you not that was the tag line!

To give you an idea of how it looked, these pictures by Steve Fisher captured the moment…

http://www.smfpics.com/backcat/sandpiper/people/index.html

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MRS B said:

I can remember the Sandpiper in the early 70’s but don’t think they had punk bands then or not when I went anyway. It was just a club.

It looks like it changed around '76 or '77 into a punk venue. I can see adverts before that where it was just a caberat place

Would that be the place, with the tiny bar, and seating upstairs, had a circular tiny dancefloor section, but had two sets of stairs.

First or second left on the right after the "old Angel".

Recall nearby a venue I think called the Monastery, always had an expansive guess list.

I'm not familiar, Sandpiper?.. where was this ?also Pharaoh's?

5 hours ago, HSR said:

I'm not familiar, Sandpiper?.. where was this ?also Pharaoh's?

Yes, it was Pharaohs in the early 70s before it became Sandpiper.  I went to Pharaohs a few times but never Sandpiper(s).  The infamous Stu Morris was on the door.  Sandpiper was owned by Peter Groves, I believe he lived in ‘Lucieville’ on Derby Road.  (A guess)
There’s a very good website run by a friend and fellow Nottstalgia Maurice Moore, it’s called ‘Scene Before in Nottingham’ which many will find interesting.  

• Like 1

Hi Lizzie

Thanks for that website suggestion. Lots of names there that I had forgotten deep in the grey matter.

Thanks for link CT...

Nice to know the Sandpiper was a gatehoused venue..

From the picture do a 180, short walk and turn left, what was this prior to being a club?

I only went twice, a Friday, the neon lighting mounted in plastic tables upstairs..Hmm 

This is a stretch, it maybe had a spiral staircase?

Definitely wooden floored, had a row of tatty leather sofas on the left, lovely long bar on the right.

Like to know more about it's previous history.

3 hours ago, HSR said:

Like to know more about it's previous history.

There's a news article that gave an address for Pharoahs as being "Jacobys Factory, Broadway" if that helps.

Another article on its opening in 1971 said it was a 4 storey building. 

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know

Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby and Louis Berenhart in 1847 of the Broadway Nottingham. It was incorporated as a limited company in 1889

If you wanted to phone them their numbers were Nottm 4567 or 4568, telegraphic address was Jacoby Nottingham.

They had premises at Daybrook for bleaching, dyeing and finishing. The Sherwood factory was for plain and fancy nets and Valenciennes laces for which they held a patent/registered design. They had a massive fire in 1913 which destroyed one of their factories at Arnold? Ther warehouse on Kayes Walk in Nottingham was converted to offices in 1990. Photo from Geograph

Jacoby's Building, Kaye's Walk, Nottingham

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Beautiful looking building for a factory. I had a wander around the Lace Market and found fantastic looking buildings. Most of these started life as factories,I understand the owners built the outsides in this way to try and outdo the other owners to show how much money they had. As factories what were the insides like for the workers. It’s well worth a wander around there if you ever have time.