Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

The best old buildings in Nottingham up the ''Lace Market''   they create a great 'Atmosphere''.........In 1960 i was a 15 year old Van Lad for British rail and did delivery's..to most of the working places.....mainly lots of women sat sowing and Machining....with the Music of the day blasting out...also recall the ladies singing along to it and always seemed happy......but most of all loved being 'Harassed'' by them...:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Looking at various old maps and directories, this was Jacoby's warehouse on Broadway.

https://goo.gl/maps/kkUmtbfvkxughQug6

I did look at that building and looks like it has a "1865" and "RB" above the entrance, can't read the other writing. Also if you zoom in looks like a carved moth ? above the emblem .

My reasoning for saying that particular building is from early 1900s Directories.

Broadway, going from Stoney Street towards St Mary's Gate, only names two companies. Jacoby, then Birkin.  And there are only two main entrances along that side.

FORgIFW.jpg

10 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Looking at various old maps and directories, this was Jacoby's warehouse on Broadway.

10 hours ago, trogg said:

I understand the owners built the outsides in this way to try and outdo the other owners to show how much money they had.

That photo supports what trogg said, a fantastic piece of architecture for a warehouse. Just imagine Amazon's warehouses looking like that. Come on Bezos you've got the cash to do it.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:23 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Somewhere up here ? 

Correct,  thanks CT, 100 percent 3 Broadway, now appears to be called Distinction.

For me, Dreadful place, 30 years plus ago, house music ain't my thing.. but now I might be able to solve my spiral staircase 'fantasy' :Shock: