Can't believe how low Mens dress sense has become......ok no Tie..but 'T' shirt instead of shirt when wearing a suit.......even dirty 'T' shirt with shorts plus wearing '' flip flops'' or sandals'' showing their hideous feet.all this being normal when just out and about.....and much more.....what do yo think?Men-in-Flip-Flops.jpg

• Like 3

Some people would call it freedom of choice, I would say it’s being slovenly. I look at people sometimes and wonder if they look in a mirror before they go out, particularly with hairdos. I have even seen women shopping in their pyjamas and dressing gown.

my mother was a tailoress and always looked immaculate. Times have changed I know but I do think it’s gone too far.

• Like 5

My mother and her father, especially, believed that a tidy and well dressed person would have an orderly and organized mind.  They both did but I discovered that it doesn't hold true in all cases.

Two outstanding examples were both Nottingham solicitors: one looked like a scarecrow and was often identified by clients who had forgotten his name as, "He's very scruffy!". His office resembled a bomb site but he knew exactly where any piece of paper or file was, if asked, and could locate it immediately.

The second always looked as though he'd stepped out of a Savile Row Tailoring establishment. Cambridge educated, impeccable manners, speech and attire.  His office also looked like a bomb site and, no, he hadn't a clue where anything was. I loved him to bits but he could be a trial at times.

As they get older, many people tend to dress in the style (casual or formal) which was popular when they were in their teens & 20s.

i wonder if today's teens & 20s will continue to dress like this when they get to 60 - 70.

Just read Ben's post  what I can't understand is why so many men wear tracky bottoms . Just a thought but is it because they want plenty of Ba???? room.

Sorry chaps just could not resist.

When my boyfriend (Who is now master)  went to Burtons to be measured for a Three piece suit  the sales man ask "which side do you dress sir ?   I waited till we got outside and they asked the master " what did the sales man mean?"

OH!! and the cost of the 3 piece suit  Made to measure, choice of material, choice of silk lnsilde,  made in 3 weeks with a fitting in between     cost  £3 10/-    What more could you ask? 

• Like 1

Given that many people in their teens and twenties are terribly obese, they may not live that long.

In Tesco this morning, I was pushing my cat litter-laden trolley behind a young woman whose backside would not have disgraced a Clydesdale. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

As they get older, many people tend to dress in the style (casual or formal) which was popular when they were in their teens & 20s.

i wonder if today's teens & 20s will continue to dress like this when they get to 60 - 70.

Sad thing is Cliff ton....its men in their 60s and 70s that are the worst for dressing in shorts and T shirts even sandals and flip flops..........

• Like 1

What about the ones that wear knee length socks with sandals or flip-flops.

A few years ago we going to take a couple of our neighbours out for the day and he was dressed as you describe, sandals, bare feet shorts and a vest, which hung really low under the armpits. We weren't even going to the seaside. Needless to say, we never got out that day as I flatly refused to have him in my car and he wouldn't go home to change. Day cancelled.

The words mutton and lamb come to mind quite often when I see older or even old people dressing like adolescents. To see women in their seventies done up like teenagers and sporting tattoos is revolting. Where the men are concerned a lot of the styles have originated over the pond and that is where they belong. Society in general seems to have lost self respect and discipline to a point where we are doing a credible impression of the oozlum bird and we all know what that led to.

As ever, and as touched on by Jill S, generalisations don't help much here. 

Personal choices and prejudices are just that. I. E. Personal..not universal.

I'd add that context also plays a part..such that what is acceptable depends on where and when it is worn.

First off... Ben, I love you to bits, but I'm afraid your thing about feet is your problem.. not that of those who reveal their feet. 

Personally, if I wear shorts 'out and about', there needs to be a reason. Usually that is warm weather, but last year it was attendance at hospital , re: my knees. The assorted clinicians needed to see my knees, so to avoid complications I went with a nice pair of M&S Tailored linen shorts.  Just above the knees and worn with a short sleeved linen shirt, lightweight casual shoes and short socks. Nowt wrong there ..

Ties. I wore a tie daily for decades in work. I even stayed  'British' in extreme weather... only loosening the tie slightly to avoid heat stroke and collapse. No more!! A tie is a quite ridiculous article. I now only wear them out of respect at weddings and funerals, though I wore Bow Ties ironically on my recent cruise.

Football kit etc., is just not me. I don't wear it and I don't  like it, but it's hard to come up with any real reason why people shouldn't advertise their allegiance if they want to. If they want to look like total prats that's their right.

• Like 1

The upside to all this banter about dress is that it amuses (and riles) us if folks look absurd to us and makes us laugh.  I love people watching.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I went with a nice pair of M&S Tailored linen shorts.  Just above the knees and worn with a short sleeved linen shirt, lightweight casual shoes and short socks. Nowt wrong there ..

Oh yes there is something wrong there DJ360! That style of dress was very prevalent when we came to OZ in the seventies it was called walk shorts but under no circumstances could you wear short socks with this garb, it has to be long socks. Many male office workers wore this garb in summer in the warmer states of Australia.

Walk shorts - Wikipedia

• Like 1

Morning all   

Benjermin 1945 &Cliffton    are we at 60s &70s not called mature people? it makes you wonder ? when you think of the 60s mini skirts it's a good job that we don't wear them now. Maybe they might interferer with our tena lady 

l

Woody      Mutton dressed as Lamb your really showing your age now.

Beekay     When we went to live in South Africa  they would laugh at men in shorts, socks and sandles but it was only the  English men that dressed this way, well it did not take many lesson to make them realise that they were a laughing stock. 

When I started green Bowling    Women could only wear Grey skirts with a center pleat and they had to be 2" below your knee, you could only wear a t-shirt with a collar. Men could not wear shorts no matter how hot  it was. Also you could only wear brown or white bowling shoes. I was in a competition once and i was reported for my socks comming above my ankle. Myself and patner were put out of the comp. ]

Thank goodness they are now dressing  in sensible clothing.   This is thanks to the younger bowlers who play indoors and TV.

2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

A bit like i dress when in spain........but mius tie and only when its really hot.....lol

Walk shorts - WikipediaI

I Find this Excellent OZ...........No feet and very smart......

I personally find that look comical and bizarre..........but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

We should be grateful that anyone can wear whatever they choose, regardless of the reaction it may generate. The alternative is something like China back in the 60s with everyone wearing a Chairman Mao grey suit.

• Like 1

Lol......I really do dress like that when i'm in Spain  except with the Tie..........not all the time...never in the evenings especially in Restaurants.......or when at dance venue's.....one of the many things i enjoy about the Spanish they never dress scruffy.......hardly ever wear shorts .....and most wear a suit even in hot weather especially the older ones....where i go anyway.......

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

First off... Ben, I love you to bits, but I'm afraid your thing about feet is your problem.. not that of those who reveal their feet. 

Your right Col.......i do have a problem with men's feet...most men neglect them then have the nerve to show them off by wearing ''Flip-Flops and ''Sandals''............i love baby's feet and most Ladies are ok.........:)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Oh yes there is something wrong there DJ360! That style of dress was very prevalent when we came to OZ in the seventies it was called walk shorts but under no circumstances could you wear short socks with this garb, it has to be long socks. Many male office workers wore this garb in summer in the warmer states of Australia.

Walk shorts - Wikipedia

Good grief Oz! My eyes!, My eyes!

I mean..what can I say?.. A slight colour change and that bloke could be at an SS or Hitler Youth rally..there's something deeply disturbing about that pic. It's not just the clothing,.it's the posture, the expression, the tucked in shirt, the waistband obviously fighting the belly...and where's his belt? 

He needs to relax, get full length trousers on, and a belt. 

And where's his hat? He'll get sunstroke..or maybe he already has..which would explain the garb. :laugh: