My father was 81 and in hospital prior to his passing. He had secondary brain lesions and was struggling to speak but I'll never forget his joy at one of the female doctors enthusing over what wonderful feet he had!  It wasn't the first time, either. Some years prior to that, he had an attack of gout and his GP, also female, had endless compliments for his tootsies.

Dad was very particular about shoes. He didn't wear fashionable styles and, when we were children, he always supervised the buying of our shoes. Despite my sister complaining about being made to wear 'clodhoppers ' and his refusal to cave in to her demands for kitten heeled, patent, pointy toed footwear, we had to don sensible shoes until we were old enough to buy our own!

Within a year or so of my sister buying her own shoes, she developed bunions on both feet. "Told you so," quipped Pa. My feet were ruined by ballet, yet my ballet teacher went ballistic if she caught her pupils wearing heels. Bad for the Achilles tendon.

Mum liked stilettos and even she had to admit that their effect on her feet wasn't very positive. I suppose, in the end, dad was right. For once!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Your right Col.......i do have a problem with men's feet...most men neglect them then have the nerve to show them off by wearing ''Flip-Flops and ''Sandals''............i love baby's feet and most Ladies are ok.........:)

Ben, I share your feelings on neglected feet. I do my best to keep mine 'acceptable', by removing dry skin...keeping nails trimmed etc., though what others think I have no idea,beyond never attracting comment. My feet are also just as tanned as the rest of me ,which helps.

We're straying from clothing to grooming here, but other things which I find off putting include excessive nose and ear hair, untrained eyebrows and worst of all, blokes with shaved heads and faces, with great tufts of chest and back hair sticking up past their collars.... Yuk!

• Like 1

Regarding shoes.. I have wide feet and always look for shoes to suit. I'd say the vast majority of footwear is too narrow for me. I usually turn to Clarks shoes for a decent fit .though their quality isn't what it was. I can't be alone in this and I strongly suspect that's why I spot so many men with very long shoes. Presumably they don't recognise their own issue and keep buying ever bigger sizes to find shoes which don't pinch, resulting in the wearing of canoes.

I don't buy cheap shoes.

My feet are not the prettiest in the mostly because of my 'Winkle Picker'' days and the old fashioned football boots.....but i do look after them plus i see a ''Podiatrist'' on a regular basis.......

I never show my feet...dont go barefoot even at home........certainly never wear 'Flip-Flops'' or sandals......Dad also never showed his feet,which were fairly ok...

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

but other things which I find off putting include excessive nose and ear hair, untrained eyebrows

That is something which never ceases to amaze me. Do those people never look at themselves in the mirror; and if so what do they see ?    Nose and ear hair can be difficult to see unless you are very friendly with the person, but exploding eyebrows stand out a mile and can make you look like a circus clown.

• Like 1

MY First football boots from about 1950 looked like this no wonder my feet are as they are12e315e9-c377-4795-b516-ee24f98e3d96.jpg

• Like 1

I can only imagine that kicking this around the damage it also did to my feet........to say nowt about the damage heading this ball did to your brain..........Micky-Vintage-Leather-Football-4.jpg

• Like 1

One thing I noticed when working as a Sainsburys delivery driver…

Next time you go to the supermarket, look out for the blokes wearing blue suits, always about two sizes too small, no tie, and light tan pointy shoes. They’re the managers.

For some reason, it seems to be an unofficial uniform.

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

If you shade your eyes and look closely DJ you can see the "gold" buckle of his belt which matches the shorts.

Blimey! Yes I can see it now.. Coordinated belt, matching socks and tie... Even more disturbing...:Shock:

@Rob.L I find that style of dress odd.

Obviously it's a fashion thing, but I would never team light brown shoes with a blue suit  But then again I'd never wear a blue suit.

You even see those tan shoes with black and dark grey suits. Just wrong for me. Should be black shoes.

Always reminds me of Stanley Holloway's song. ' Brown Boots'

" Braaahhhn Boots at a funeral...I aask yer,..Braaahhhn Boots"

• Like 3

Have you noticed a 'Subtle' change in mens suits?.....you have to zoom in a bit...what may look like a blue or black even a dark grey....now in most cases there is a faint pattern.....not for me.....nor is White Trainers with a dark suit.....

As well as clothing, I'm not impressed by a lot of current hairstyles on men - with footballers demonstrating the point perfectly.

I spent my early days having a forced short-back-and-sides because there was no choice; it seems I was 50 years ahead of my time. Men now go out of their way to have the style-less asymmetric slash with strange floppy bits, bizarre colours, extremely cropped or very long....all on the same head.

• Like 1

@DJ360 The people who interviewed me for the job did comment that I was the only one who turned up wearing a suit (dark grey, tailored) and tie. (As well as black, polished, shoes)

Maybe I was over-dressed, but it made the right impression as far as I was concerned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Haircuts..Always a cause of debate...

In the 1950s / early 60s, when I was still being sent down to Osborne's in Park Lane for a short back and sides, and using Brylcreem and Brilliantine to feel grown up.. the short back and sides was still pretty much 'de rigeur'. Rare exceptions included the 'DA' favoured by 'Teddy Boys', the Crew Cut, its derivative the 'Flat Top' and the occasional Mohican.

The prevailing opinion was that deviation from accepted norms pointed to all sorts of 'character flaws'...:ohmy: and that long hair was, by definition, 'dirty'.

All cobblers of course.

In the later 60s, the popularity of long hair and the retreat of the suit, tie, and short hair led to lots of debate and prejudices.

It always amused me that I could be sitting on a bus, with my 'scruffy' but daily washed long hair,whilst in front, would be some bloke with suit and tie, BO, shiny pants seat, a filthy collar and filthy shoes..but he'd be seen as 'smart'.

With hair now, it seems that anything goes, for both sexes. It's certainly not boring!

Meanwhile most blokes my age seem to go for shaved heads (disguises 'male pattern' hair loss'), short all over. ( No. 3 cut for me), or short sides with a longer top..

I wonder what the 'correct' answer is?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Have you noticed a 'Subtle' change in mens suits?.....you have to zoom in a bit...what may look like a blue or black even a dark grey....now in most cases there is a faint pattern.....not for me.....nor is White Trainers with a dark suit.....

I no longer own a suit, threw them out after I retired and the only shoes to ever wear with one were black.

Smart casual is the way to go here even for weddings and funerals. I can't think of any event that I would go to that a suit would be required.

I’m lucky in that I still have a good head of hair and not far off my 70’s now. Over the years it has receded a little at the front but not much. I’ve kept the colour too, if anything it’s gone a bit darker as I aged. It’s only in the last few years that there is a some grey around the sideboards and I have often been accused of dyeing it or using one of those products to stave off the grey which I never have. It’s a mess at the moment and desperately needs a cut but I have always loathed going to the hairdressers and put it off far longer than I should.
I had to wear a suit for work but rarely wear one now but have 2 good quality dark ones and a traditional pin stripe. They all seem to have shrunk a bit while hanging in the wardrobe. Dark brown shoes always. I think I have one pair of black shoes. I will spend good money on shoes and never buy cheap. Loakes is what I usually buy. The last pair worn almost daily lasted over 7 years. I’m about 2 years into my current pair, mid brown brogues. 

I don't. :laugh:

SO Malc..1 pair of shoes.....for walking...cycling...Gardening...Dancing...shopping...Holidays....and all other of lives tasks ? :Shock:

• Upvote 1