1. When in the Cubs I attended an annual Nottinghamshire Cub meet at Bestwood Hall army camp. I Forget whether it was 1959 or 1960 but at that meet we were told to bring a sleeping bag for camping in Scout tents. Mine was made from ex-army blankets pinned into a bag shape with safety pins.  At the breakfast table (A trestle affair), a lad called the marmalade "Lady Marma" and ever since that day I have known marmalade as Lady Marma. Funny how easily we are impressed when young. I was so popular that when I hid in a tree for the hide-and-seek competition, I was there for ages and ages. When I finally gave up waiting to be found they had started another game; no-one noticed that I was missing.

2. Anyone remember the 2nd Woodthorpe Wolf Cub pack from the 1950s/60s? Used to meet in the wooden teaching huts behind the Good Shepherd Church, Thackeray's Lane, Daybrook.

3. I still have my cubs jumper.

Cubsx.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I remember that because our house on Park Rd. was just behind that Catholic Church. I only ever went in once for a funeral. Our neighbour was Clive German the solicitor. His house was right behind the church. One evening, after he had sold that house and moved to Papplewick he inadvertently, after possibly having a bit too much to drink, let himself into his old house which rather surprised the people who had just moved in!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That story Phil reminds me of a tale my father-in-law tells. His father kept a shop on Alfreton Road and was very good friends with the local doctor, Dr Lavelle who could drive but did not own a car. One day said doctor borrowed my father-in-law’s car to go to some do or other. My father-in-law was rather anxious that the car should be returned soon as he was on weekend leave from his national service and needed it to be back at camp in Derby by early the following morning. Eventually, Dr Lavelle arrived back, but unfortunately although he was in was in a the same type and colour of car it was a completely different vehicle. He had been so drunk he had got into the wrong car in the car park and driven that home. I Imagine the locks weren’t terribly secure and the key being similar fitted. My father-in-law in a panic had to drive while the doctor showed the way back to where he had been.  They found a very irate man in the car park about to report his car stolen but were able to talk the man round and the cars swapped over. I think my father in law made it back to camp in the nick of time.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dr Lavalle was my doctor as a child and he made house calls he had an Austin A40 Devon the same as my dads in green unless he borrowed it from someone.There was a Dr.Stebbins who had the surgery on Alfreton rd. along with Dr Lavalle.

• Like 1

Yes. Dr Lavelle was more or less directly opposite my father in laws shop, Flints newsagents, 293 Alfreton Road near the junction with Hartley Road. The car was actual owned by father in laws dad but he didn’t take to driving and it was my father in law who used the car. This was a very long time ago late 40’s or early 50’s at a guess. I think the car was a green Morris Oxford. Same shape and look as a morris minor but bigger.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Further to my story about Dr Lavelle and the car fiasco. I saw my father in law yesterday. He can’t remember what he said 2 minutes previously but I mentioned this and he recalled it in detail. It was during his nation service so that dates it to the early to mid 1950’s. Apparently the car that the good doctor came home in was nothing like the car he went in. Totally different other than the colour and the event was a golf club dance in Edwinstow. My father in law was due back to camp at or near Stafford and had arranged to pick up several mates from various places en route. He was very late and we’re waiting until gone 1am from the arrange 10pm. He wasn’t very popular.