Starting to sow seeds

I have had a lot of success with planting onion sets in module trays this year and just putting them in my greenhouse to root and sprout. Gives them a head start ready to plant outside. Polytunnel is now full with garlic planted before Christmas, Red Baron onions and Blauschokker peas which grow to 2m high. These are great as you don’t have to bend to pick them and they are purple podded so easy to spot for harvesting. Have finished sowing my tomatoes today in individual pots covered with cling film (mini propagators) and hopefully will germinate inside on windowsills ready to go in the poly after the peas have finished early, avoiding the pea moth problem. Too early though I think to be sowing seeds direct outside, wait till the soil warms up.

We are off to Northumberland next week for a 4 night break. Have never been to that area. The weather looks dire but the change of scenery will be great. My daughter is home to look after the kitties.

I just order 3 each of Crimson Crush and Bella tomatoes from Suttons. The Crimson Crush are grafted and produce superb toms with great flavour and very few seeds. The Bella produce tons of cherry type toms which keep the street going.

I also grow Runner Beans, outdoor Cucumbers and a few Radishes and bits of Cavalo Nero. My first ever carrots were brilliant but they don't grow for me now. I gave up on Beetroot too. It's cheap and plentiful in shops.