Pismronunciation

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not pedantic at all Beekay but I did have to Google why. It’s called “linguistic elision and is used when there are inconvenient sounds or syllables which are omitted to make the word quicker and easi

Not so much pIsmronunciation.......but more 'Soundcomunication''.........with my voice now being more of a Growl........two assistants in Morrisons stood with their back to me.....all i said was ''EXC

nonna the difference in language eh! I can remember working with some Americans trying to install a computer system that actually was never going to work for us and I said to this guy “Keep your pecke

Funnily enough, my brother in law is from Hucknall. I've known him since 1965 and still don't understand a word he says ....

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The locals call it South Well. In Nottingham dialect it’s Suth Ull. I use both depending on who I’m speaking to. 

It always was and always will be Suth Ull as far as I’m concerned. If people say to me Southwell I always think “where?”

@MRS B, it's me agen ! What about your area? Why is it Lester and not as spelled...Lei-cest-er?

Or am I just being pedantic.x

I was chatting to a friend this evening who lived until recently in Southwell.  I asked if she watched the televised Easter service from Suthull Minster and she replied that yes she watched it and spotted several ‘South-well’  people she knew.   The residents do come across as a bit ‘precious’ regarding the pronunciation.   Then there’s Renuth for Rainworth, not that I’ve ever been there.  Funnily enough, I’m not well travelled in Notts ……. I think I’ve only been to Mansfield about 6 times in my life, and it’s only a few miles up the road!  

I've always thought that Suthull was the correct pronunciation used by older locals to Suthull. The locals that pronounce it South-well are immigrants to the area that think Suthull isn't snobby enough for them. Might be rong of course! :)

• Upvote 1

re Mansfield Woodhouse, Oh thanks.  I think some distant cousin of my Mum lived up there, nobody talked about him ……. every family has one o’ them!  

I believe the long accepted pronunciation of Southwell is Suthall. I’ve lived in the area for 61 years and the locals say Southwell. I asked the former town clerk and she said Southwell. Take your pick! My wife used to teach at Rainworth and no child ever called it that!

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

@MRS B, it's me agen ! What about your area? Why is it Lester and not as spelled...Lei-cest-er?

Or am I just being pedantic.x

Not pedantic at all Beekay but I did have to Google why. It’s called “linguistic elision and is used when there are inconvenient sounds or syllables which are omitted to make the word quicker and easier to say.The general rule of thumb ( thum) is that where a consonant precedes the -cester the full word is pronounced as in Cirencester or Manchester. Where it is preceded by a vowel as in Leicester, Gloucester the middle bit isn’t pronounced. There are exceptions though as in Towcester.

How foreigners ever learn our language I will never know. The yanks pronounce Loughborough “lowbrow”.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Never met him , as he died in 1940 (born 1868) , but my paternal grandfather was born in Southwell as were at least the 3 previous generations before him and in our family it was always pronounce Suthull 

14 hours ago, LizzieM said:

re Mansfield Woodhouse, Oh thanks.  I think some distant cousin of my Mum lived up there, nobody talked about him ……. every family has one o’ them!  

Paul lived there for 3 years in the late fifties….

Probably familiar to a few on here but there's a town in South Yorkshire called Penistone.

I wonder how the locals pronounce it. Penistown perhaps?

It made me laugh out loud when I drove through it back in the 70s.

1 hour ago, Mess said:

Probably familiar to a few on here but there's a town in South Yorkshire called Penistone.

I wonder how the locals pronounce it. Penistown perhaps?

It made me laugh out loud when I drove through it back in the 70s.

My niece was landlady of a grotty pub in Penistone a few years ago.  We went there ‘just the once’!!

Those who've read Wuthering Heights will be familiar with the fictional Penistone Cragg, where Cathy and Heathcliffe gathered flowers as children. The Brontes lived in West Yorkshire not South Yorkshire but perhaps Emily had seen the name on her travels.

• 4 months later...