Pismronunciation

On 4/11/2023 at 4:24 PM, DJ360 said:

Yebbut, Interesting and amusing as they are, Featherstonehaugh etc.,are not quite the same thing. They, along with the Yorks examples etc, are simply examples of local useage and dialect. I do believe that the good denizens of Uttoxeter call it. 'Uxter'.

Thing is, there is no accepted distortion of Anemone or Nuclear. Anenome and new killer are just wrong. The end. :laugh:

One that @RadFordee particularly hates is marshmellow for marshmallow, and holler instead of hollow

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not pedantic at all Beekay but I did have to Google why. It’s called “linguistic elision and is used when there are inconvenient sounds or syllables which are omitted to make the word quicker and easi

Not so much pIsmronunciation.......but more 'Soundcomunication''.........with my voice now being more of a Growl........two assistants in Morrisons stood with their back to me.....all i said was ''EXC

nonna the difference in language eh! I can remember working with some Americans trying to install a computer system that actually was never going to work for us and I said to this guy “Keep your pecke

Well if we're into 'dialectical abberations' (I made that up.. a bit like H.G. Wells' 'Mr Polly', describing his father's funeral and 'Funererial Baked Meats'...but I digress..

Dialectical abberations such as on the dreaded Facebook 'Rate My Plate' group, where people insist on 'Cornbeef', instead of 'Corned Beef'... Peasants!!!

I worked with a woman a few years back who insisted on saying that something was pacific rather than specific.

We also used a material in the development department called lambda carrageenan which she called lambada carrageenan.

She has to go down as the most untrustworthy individual I ever had the misfortune to manage. Her partner was sacked for sleeping in his office during the night shift which he was supposed to be supervising. A couple of ne'er do wells as my dear dad would say.

Or those who go on holiday to Skeg's Nest.  Personally, I've never seen a Skeg and I have no idea where they nest. Sand dunes, perhaps? An elderly, distant cousin always pronounced it that way and, as a child, I always corrected her. The response was always the same: "Be quiet until you're spoken to!" :wacko:

Right up until I started senior school I said tarecaker instead of caretaker.

Young Max struggled to call me grandad, I never did like the idea of being one, so when it came out as dabda I quite liked it, and I'm happy to keep it.

Following on from Brew, I remember our son when he was a tiddler, when it was time for bed, his mum used to say, "Now it's time to say your prayers".

He always said the same..."God bless mummy, daddy, nanna and Boggis". He never did say grandpa.

R.I.P. Andrew.

• Like 2
On 9/3/2023 at 12:13 AM, katyjay said:

I do tend to reverse first letters, like par cark, and splin shints

I have just read your post and my son when little would  all ways say par cark. Maybe you are related? and he has failed to tell me.

My grandson (who is now at uni and 24) would never say Grandad but calls master   Grad and still does.

Mind you I call him other things  

but never call him late for his dinner.

• Upvote 1

There was an episode of 'Pointless Celebrities' on TV last night and some of them were..

But one of the 'Questions' concerned the 'Top Ten Most Annoying Mispronunciations'

Top of the list was Nuclear.. I cheered!  Also in there from memory was 'Specific', but no mention of Anemone.....

And on the topic of 'made up words', from kids.  Our oldest. when, at the age of five, first saw her baby sister and described her as having a 'scrouty face'.

Also, when same daughter 'broke wind' loudly.. she laughed hysterically and said. " I pruted"..

I used to work with someone who told us once that a pregnant lady had gone to hospital to be “seduced”. He obviously meant “induced” but it was very funny at the time.

Continental quilts came on the market mid 70's at a guess. Our eldest aged about 3, announced to his gran, I've got a conkernenkal quilt. They were always called that by us all, after that.

My daughter used to go to the hoppystool. Myself learning Italian  got me almost in trouble. I used to preserve a lot of veg and fruit. I always sterilized the jars but also added a “preservative”. That’s what it’s called in English but in Italian it means something else. ( a condom) was my face red when my husband pointed it out to me. It’s a good job the chemist had known me for years.

nonna the difference in language eh! I can remember working with some Americans trying to install a computer system that actually was never going to work for us and I said to this guy “Keep your pecker up” He said “I don’t believe you just said that” as it means something totally different Stateside. 

• Like 2

My son when he was small and just beginning to learn Italian said to his auntie. My glue hurts .  Collo is neck and colla is glue. He always went ahead with words he wasn’t sure about but my daughter always hesitated. Fortunately having their school holidays with cousins etc they soon had a command of the language and even understand the dialect. Italian in-laws live in France and their daughter lives in Scotland . Their children speak 3 languages and the youngest is only 6.It’s lovely hearing all these languages with a Scottish accent. I could listen to him all day.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, nonnaB said:

My daughter used to go to the hoppystool. 

I've never come across that word before, and I wondered if it was a keyboard error, or predictive text taking over. Even Google hadn't seen it before.

So I give in.....what is it ?