Years ago I bought an 8 day wall clock from Newark market. It was a none runner and I gave a tenner for it. It's about 14" diameter in an oak case and the type that would have been on the walls in offices and schools back in the day. Its not a very high quality and was a simple fix with the winding ratchet spring being misplaced so I took it apart cleaned and oiled it and its ticked away ever since being wound on Saturday mornings. Despite spending hours trying to get it to keep time by altering the pendulum length I can get it to either gain or loose a little but never got it better than a few minutes out. Not helped by the adjustment being really awkward to get at. So I've settled that it gains about 4 minutes a week which given the nature of it that's probably quite good.

A few weeks ago I bought an art deco 8 day mantle clock. It mass produced but a good maker and I've got it keeping time almost to the second. It stands about 5 feet from the wall clock and now for some strange reason the wall clock is likewise keeping time much better. Today being half way through the week its perhaps early too early to judge  but so far the wall clock is bang on where normally it would be a bit fast. I have heard before of the phenomenon that pendulums in close proximity will synchronise with each other. Weird.   

• Like 2
15 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The synchronisation of pendulums is a known phenomenon but still remains a bit of a mystery. 

So is the synchronisation of menstrual cycles of females who live in close proximity to other females. This is called the McClintock effect apparently this effect is contested.

I accidentally found out about this when searching to see if the synchronisation of pendulums was real and it is. They found that using two clocks they do synchronise but apparently swing in different directions. It is still not fully understood why.

• Like 1