How many of  our members remember the Queens Coronation?      Not sure how old I was maybe 5/6 but most of our family went to my Aunty Olive's as she was the only one in the family who had a TV.   Aunt  Olive lived on Brair St in the Meadows in a little terrace house. In the front room were 16 adults and 12 children how we managed to see anything on a 12inch Black ./ White TV stii amazed me. If I remember the Queen  had about 8 page boys and 12/14 maids. People from all around were invited to Buck Palace.

Well this time when we have Charlie whopps sorry Prince Charles crowned and lets not forget Camilla   whoops again Queen Camilla.

How many will watch the Coronation this time?

Just a guess    there will probably  be   more people who watched Diana's funeral (  The People's Princess ) than watch the Coronation.

This post is not political just a sign of the times.

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My contribution:   All Hail to good King Big Ears. He's getting crowned today. With hands stuffed in his pockets So they don't get in the way. It hides his sausage finger

Jill for Poet Laureate ………..unless    There was an old man with big ears Who today is regaled with cheers He went to the Abbey With a wife who looks crabby And went home

Couple of bits of trivia.   When the king entered the abbey, he was preceded by the current (ninth) Duke of Wellington. The duke was wearing the exact same robes that were first worn over 20

As four year old I was dragged around to my paternal grandparents house to "watch" the coronation. They were the only ones in the family to have a TV at that time. It was Bakelite Bush TV and the screen was only about nine inches and as dad came from a large family the kids were relegated to the sides where the view was not the best. All we wanted to do was go outside and play football as we were not interested in the Coronation. 

I maintain that total lack of interest of the Coronation and all things Royal to this day. I will certainly not be watching and I am reliably informed that it starts on TV at 7:45 pm and will go for about 3 hours. It is on TV at prime viewing time on Saturday evening and no doubt there will be complaints if the AFL is replaced by the Coronation.

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Coronation

Only one of my very large family of Uncles Aunts and cousins had a Telly........it was my Aunt Connie on Leybourne drive i was 8 and we all crowded in her front room to watch a tiny Telly........still recall Granddads head blocking my view......must admit i was interested even at that young age.......the Coronation and the Mathews cup final are my first memories of watching TV..........

• Like 1

It was before my time but mum and my older sister, who was almost three years old, went round to maternal auntie Edna's house on Reydon Drive. Edna had recently bought a television. My mother, who was nine days younger than the Queen, always took an interest in her near contemporary and family, although she wasn't interested in their forebears. Mum, like many little girls of that age, kept a scrapbook into which she pasted pictures of princess Elizabeth and her sister. An innocent enough pastime.

I was always been a massive fan of the Queen but I'm afraid I have no interest in the royal family at all now, I think with the passing of Queen Elizabeth 2nd signalled the beginning of the end of the royals family, 

Rog

• Upvote 1

The queen's uncles were a strange but oddly fascinating lot.  Edward VIII seemed hell bent on ducking the role he was born to play and his father regarded him as, in the immortal words of Captain Mainwaring, a stupid boy. He prayed that his eldest son wouldn't have any children so that nothing would prevent Lilibet becoming  queen. The other brothers were observed by those who knew them as anything between intellectually challenged and downright 'bovine' but inbreeding has much to answer for.

George VI did a wonderful job, in my opinion. He stepped up to the plate when his feckless elder brother let the side down. He didn't flee the country when his own relatives sent the Luftwaffe on bombing raids and he was at all times fully briefed as to how bad the situation actually was. The stress, in all probability, hastened his demise but he stuck to his duty and he instilled the same attitude  in his elder daughter.  She was the last of her kind. I wouldn't have wanted her life for all the jewels in The Tower.

Yes, the royals are extremely wealthy. So what? You can't take it with you and anyone with any insight realizes that jewels, property and money in excess of what is actually needed to sustain life are worthless.

The BiG difference between the days of George VI and his wayward siblings and the present is that the Press has lost what few manners it ever had and never fails to report, writ large, on its front pages, the yellow journalism guaranteed to wind up the envious masses (assuming they can read it). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

No! I wouldn't pledge allegiance to anyone except perhaps the cats. Trust no one except yourself is my maxim, exceptional circumstances excepted. 

It amused me by its inclusion, though. The general public cannot bear to think they can't have a finger in the pie of whatever goes on these days. Inclusiveness, I believe it's termed. I shan't be parading about with a placard proclaiming Vivat, Rex. Nor shall I be parading about with a placard proclaiming Not My King! Those who wish to do so are perfectly entitled, of course, as are citizens of Moscow to parade about with placards proclaiming  Get That Ar***ole out of the Kremlin! For all the good it will do.

Right. That said, I'm off to check my underwear drawer for Novichok!

• Like 2

I’ve already chopped half a finger off in a ‘horticultural incident’ and ruined my guitar playing career. I wear special chainsaw gloves when I’m in action. In consideration to neighbours I don’t use my noisy two stroke saws on Sundays and bank holidays. I have a very quiet battery powered one though which I reserve for the Sabbath.

• Like 2

Only a couple of days ago did I get a King Charles III 50p coin yet they’ve been in circulation since December 2022 and around 5 million were issued.   I was quite excited to get it though! 

Funnily Anchor sale in the cattle market Nottingham burned down a few years ago, just saying

Rog

I won't be taking "the knee" in fact I won't even be taking an interest, a tree hugger and his home wrecking spouse are of no interest to me at all

Rog

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Funnily Anchor sale in the cattle market Nottingham burned down a few years ago, just saying

Rog

I think the cattle market fire was someone posting a firework for a laugh. I believe they were caught.

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see that the chairs from previous coronations are being renovated and used again. They will never wear out.  A friend of mine bought a chair at an auction. Chatsworth attic sale, I think it was, some years ago. It was from the coronation of George V and had a plaque to evidence its provenance. Sat on by the Duke of Devonshire at the time, presumably.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2023 at 5:27 PM, plantfit said:

I won't be taking "the knee" in fact I won't even be taking an interest, a tree hugger and his home wrecking spouse are of no interest to me at all

Rog

Me too plantfit, even if they were coming past my front door I would not be arsed to get off me chair to have a look at them.

The only reason we are not already a republic is because back in the 1999 referendum the model that the politicians wanted was for them to pick the President.

55% of the public said no. To change to a republic we needed a majority of votes in a majority of states and a majority of all the electors voting. Strangely enough the No vote in Queensland was highest with 62%. The coronation of Charles III may be the impetus we need to finally become a republic and get rid of the hangers on at Federal and State levels who have all four trotters in the public trough for 123 years.

• Like 1

One son and family are on Green Park watching  the proceedings on a big screen.  They wanted to watch from the Mall but it’s been closed because it’s full already!!   I suppose they may enjoy soaking up the atmosphere (or the rain lol)