Snooker World Championships

A friend of ours owns Davisella House on Manvers Street and within the building is a large Snooker Hall that is very well used When the Island Quarter student flats are occupied with Chinese students then the Snooker Club will get even busier!

7 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

When the Island Quarter student flats are occupied with Chinese students then the Snooker Club will get even busier!

A large number of Chinese players didn't play in the recent World Championships because they are currently suspended and being investigated for match-fixing and betting. Hopefully that's something the Nottingham students won't learn.

We once had a lady visit on Friday mornings for games and exercise. Part of her ensemble, and I kid you not, she had a table that couldn't have been any more than 2 feet or less. The cues were like long pencils, about 18" long and the balls were just like marbles. I thought she was extracting the Urine from the old Dodderers. I buggered off and was laughing for ages ! My wife couldn't see what was so funny.

17 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Talking of snooker games Has any member ever played the game of snooker called "Find The Lady?""

Mary, I've never heard of it in a snooker context, only as a card trick as mentioned above.

Do pubs still have bar billiards tables? I used to enjoy playing it, most often at the "bottom Bell" pub in Sutton in Ashfield at the end of the day shift before 3:00pm closing time. I'd love one of those but you don't often see them for sale here in OZ and at long last I have a large steel shed that would eat a full sized Snooker table.

Hi Oz    I seem to think that it was at one time it was a card game and members at our club changed it to a snooker game.  you have 6 different colours on face down cards/tops. First you pot a red, then you take a card which should have yellow/blue/green / pink/brown/Black on. when you take say a yellow card, yellow is your colour. The object of the game is after you have potted a red you go for a colour. You do not go for your own colour but you go to pot the the other colours If you are the only one collour left on the table thats the lady. Its better if there is a little prize money  most people play better.  

I can remember Bar Billards  but I have not seen one of these games for years. Will see if I can find out any thing  if there are any about. 

Have been to OZ a couple of times "LOVE IT"  would love to vist you, in OZ  just so master and I could see you shed with you snooker table in but I find it very hard nor to get about (Mobility) so if you do get your table set up sent a photo.  ps Master used to service Fruit Machines and also recover pool and snooker tables. I am sure he wold like to help but OZ is hell of a long way to travel when you are on call.

• Like 1

Thanks for that explanation Mary. It combines the skills of snooker with strategy. Were you not beyond attempting to pot the yellow to try and bluff anyone that had a grudge against you and make them think it was not your ball?

Don't think the leader of the opposition would support me in getting a full-sized table, not to mention the cost, hence the quest for a bar billiards table, I might just be able to negotiate that one.

Are you still managing to play bowls? Many of the clubs here are shutting down play for the winter season, it is when we get most of our rain and our grasses need the warmth and the sun to grow so it is more difficult to repair wear and tear.

• Like 1

Hi OZ   Due to my Parkinson's my mobility and blance are away with the fairys. Have not played Bowls the year at all and realy miss it but whats to be, you just try and think of other things to do.  Most of our greens are closing do to bowling members  passing away, all bowling teams aadvertising  for new players. The only thing we have is since they have shown indoor bowling on telly a lot of younster's have taken up the sport. So you never know. (Watchn this Space).

Have ask one or two people about your Bar- Billiads so look at you and pull a face, some can rememnber them, but as to where you can get one ??

ps you can get 1/4 even 1/2 size snooker tables but not quite the same.