Snooker World Championships

Do any members watch or play snooker?

When I first met the master (hubby) he worked at Ericson's and they had a social club, which had snooker tables in. This is where I first had a game of snooker. In fact a lot of snooker venus were MEN only.  I just loved playing. After a few years married and a baby boy asleep in his cot, Snooker was on TV not Pot Black but snooker. Master had been out with his mates when he came home  I just said I have been watching snooker final and rhis young boy with red hair is just brillent, who was he  YES Steve Davis. Now looking on we still have some great players comming along the 20 year old from China and the Belgium player.    I still love to play the game if I get the chanch another comment when we first moved to Hucknall we joined a social club only because they had 2 snooker tables, the thing was we had Maggie PM yet the club would not let women play on the tables. Well myself and another lady  got together and went in front of the committee and because only members could play on the tables (women were not even members)  so the protest was for women to be made a member instead of just an hiornery member, belive or not we won, to this day i still love playiong snooker. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I really enjoyed this years Worlds. In my opinion it was the best ever, with the 'establishment' being challenged so successfully.

I fancied Brecel to win after the second round. Very exciting player with the 'wow' factor that we have associated with the Rocket for so long. Looking forward to seeing young Si at the table again.

• Like 1

I quite like watching snooker on TV if I'm not doing anything else and there's nothing better happening.....but not if it's Mark Selby sending everyone to sleep.

I couldn't watch it in person in the venue because I'd soon get bored and fidgety. It's not for people with short attention spans, but it works on TV because  I can move around and go in and out of the room for a few minutes.

• Like 1

I agree with you P.P., it's been the best competition yet. The quality has been superb and the likes of Brecel and Si Jiuhuai have been like precise machines. 'Er indoors and I have had a great snookerfest so won't know what to do now it's finished. Ah well, better go and clean me windows.

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with what PP says.

I find snooker 'absorbing' and relaxing to watch...much like test cricket,, but I don't generally watch he I I don't I don't watch the whole tournament.  The semis and the final this year were exceptional though.

I’m like Cliff Ton in that I will watch snooker on TV intermittently.  When there’s a big tournament that goes on for many days I don’t have time or inclination to watch for hours at a time.  My Granny and her sister lived together in their later years and were absolutely glued to the TV when Snooker was on, they just sat there knitting and watching.  At our previous house we had a Snooker Room and we inherited a beautiful mahogany antique snooker table which was used a lot by the family and their friends. It was a real party house which was lovely because we knew where the boys were and got to know all their mates.  

As a kid we had a six-foot billiard table that sat on rails on the dining room table, you levelled it with screw jacks underneath.

My paternal grandfather was a county champion at billiards and he spent hours learning me how to control the cue ball as he said that was the key to winning the game. The skills of the current and past players are amazing, it often appears that the cue ball is remote controlled. Many hours of my mis-spent youth were spent on the tables at the local miners welfare or the billiard hall in town.

• Like 1

It's also worth mentioning the commentators who the BBC use.

Stephen Hendry is probably my favourite TV commentator on any sport. If he doesn't like the way a person plays,there's no beating about the bush; he says what he thinks, and is clearly a person who doesn't suffer fools at all. An expert at just-on-the-edge diplomacy.

And Sean Murphy comes across as a pompous t**t.

Don’t forget Dan Maskell as the voice of tennis and Peter Allis as the voice of golf.

Snooker wise, my parents were big fans so I was brought up with it. Can particularly remember watching a match where Cliff Thorburn was gunning for a 147, I think at the Crucible and on the next table behind the screen Bill Werbeniuk was playing and Kirk Stevens was around too and they stopped playing to watch him. 

• Like 1

Bill Werbeniuck used to sink about 12 pints of beer during his matches.

Cliff Thorburn did indeed score the first 147 at the Crucible, back in 1985.

The smokers all sat with their cues with a fag on, while waiting their shot.

• Like 1

Yes Bill did you’re right Beekay. He died quite young as a result though. The audience would definitely be waiting a long time anyway in the match as I think Cliff was playing Terry (slowcoach) Griffiths. The 147 was def good telly watching.

Cliffton you say watching  Mark Selby sends you to sleep have you watched Terry Griffiths (see mrs B above comments) I think on of the worst commontaters is Virgo I'm sure one day he will have a heart -attack.

OZ you mention Billards this is also a great game for those who have not played it well it's a lot different from snooker.

Yesterday evening I discovered by chance that BBC Red Button is showing 'British Seniors' Snooker, which is basically older players who are past their peak but can still hold a cue. Players who might've been in the 'proper' championships a few years ago but have now been overtaken by the youngsters.

What's really worrying is that these oldies are all younger than me.

This lot...... https://snookerscores.net/tournament-manager/llp-solicitors-world-seniors-championship-2023/players

Were al younger than you Cliff?

Well some of us.

Thanks for info on red button will take a look at the oldies.

Going back to one of OZ post

One Christmas my boys aged about 10 and 12 we brought them a pool/snooker 6ft table. They were playing together when !!! yes they decicded to have a disagreement. Then one of the balls came of the table smashed my glass top coffee table, then they started hitting each other with the cues. With in 2 days the pool/snooker had gone to a new home.

To this day younger son now goes to Spot On in Hucknall to play pool/snooker eldest one keeps out the way. instead he goes mre for the outdoor persuits

• Like 1

@Lizzie I jjust recalled when I 'hung out' with our mutual acquaintance Graham Wyvill and his older brother Bob, they had a half sized snooker table in their lounge above their. shop    We had hours of fun. 

I agree with Mary about John Virgo's commentary. I'm sure he's a jolly decent  chap, but his excitable and high volume stuff..usually  " WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOING!!?"..seems like an artificial and unnecessary attempt to add to the excitement that's already there..

What gets up my nose with Virgo is that he's always criticising players shots,

eg.,"He's gone the wrong way, I would've gone this/that way". He does rabbit on a lot instead of letting us just enjoy the game. I much prefer Steve 'Interesting' Davies.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Then one of the balls came of the table smashed my glass top coffee table,

The worst we did was when I tried a swerve shot to get out of a snooker and the ball went through the living room window.

• Like 1

A couple of houses ago, and more than 30 years ago, my husband acquired a coin-operated pool table from Pitstone Cement Works Social Club which was not far from where we lived.  I hated it!  It stood in the middle of a little sitting room and resembled a coffin and was far too big for the room, a couple of pictures on the wall were smashed by cues too.  He originally wanted it set up in the main sitting room but I played up when that was suggested and it was disposed of within a few months.  

What you need LizzieM is an extension built on to your house, like our friends have but don't have a pool table in it but a full size snooker table .You can the invite all the members round., maybe this is where we could have next meet up.   PS I no a person who recovers tables if the snooker table needs recovering.

OZ 

just read your post it sounds like you had a little more fun than i did, the only fault is that window to replace cost was more money than my coffee table.

Big Ears I agree with your comments

The way Virgo comments I am waiting for him to have a heart attack he gets carried away, he has yet to learn that everyone plays their own game.

cheers Noddy   xx

Talking of snooker games Has any member ever played the game of snooker called "Find The Lady?""

5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

What you need LizzieM is an extension built on to your house, like our friends have but don't have a pool table in it but a full size snooker table .You can the invite all the members round., maybe this is where we could have next meet up.   PS I no a person who recovers tables if the snooker table needs recovering.

@Mary1947. No we don’t need an extension on our house, we downsized considerably when we moved to Nottingham and wouldn’t want a big property again.  Our previous house was like a leisure centre with everything that teenage boys wanted, including a proper snooker room.   We’re too old to be bothered with all the maintenance and upkeep required now.  Our sons look back on their growing up years and aspire to have the same and they’re working on it!  

• Like 1

I remember my uncle who lived on Grey’s Rd. in Woodthorpe having a downsized snooker table in a bedroom in the 50’s. There wasn’t much room to shuffle round the table and certain shots had to be taken with the window open. There was also a selection of cut down cues so you wouldn’t hit the walls. I remember playing on decent tables in what I think was the Borough Club at the top of Market St. before it became a Berni.