A few days ago, in a burst of nostalgia, I went to the Notts Archives and had a look through the electoral registers for the road where I lived and grew up on Clifton

I wanted to see the names of the families who lived there, and how many I could remember. It’s a medium length road - 50 houses in total on both sides.

I looked at 1961, and then at 1971. Some families I’d always remembered, but others were a blast from the past who I'd forgotten. Some families stayed for years, others were obviously just passing through.

It was like being back in mid-60s.

I remember that you knew the Hirst Family. Kathleen Hirst was the daughter of our next door neighbour at Bobbers Mill and was my mother's best friend when they were children. Small world. I was surprised to find my grandfather living in the house at Bobbers Mill on the 1921 electoral register as I didn't think the houses were built as early as that. The surrounding houses were occupied by people whose names were not familiar to me, although later residents stayed for a very long time.