On Thursday as usual we did our weekly shop. A rear brake light had gone so arranged to go to car shop to get it fixed. 
Arrived at 5pm and as we were pulling into car park at front shops, which is one way, a black SUV pulled in the wrong way and then stopped blocking the exit. To our horror someone got out all dressed in black with his face half covered with the biggest gun I have ever seen, seen them in films but not in real life. Not an AK47 but very similar. Two more people appeared dressed the same one with a similar gun and the other one was getting something out of the car boot which looked like a missile launcher. They looked just like an American SWAT Team.

We couldn’t move as there was a car behind us. Eventually he backed up but one of the police came to the driver side window and told us to move forward towards their car. He had a big gun plus a sidearm, we certainly weren’t going to argue. The three walked past us to the shops at the end of the parade so we were stuck in an armed siege!
By this time a crowd was gathering, all filming on phones of course, and we could hear shouting coming from behind us. We weren’t sure whether to get out the car, in case bullets started flying, or stay where we were. So, of course, we rang the car shop which was one shop down from where we were parked and asked if they could change the brake light bulb. The assistant came out and changed the bulb, quickly I might add so at least that was done. We could hear more shouting and catcalling from behind us again.

Then a van driver appeared and moved a van which was parked at the side of us so there was a gap we could escape through. By this time there were other police officers there keeping the crowd back. We managed to get one of their attention, a very nice police lady and asked if the black SUV was going to be moved, but were informed it was blocking in a silver Astra so no time soon. We asked if we could back up a bit and then get away. She checked on her Walkie talkie, by this time the shops had been taped off, and then helped us back up and stopped the traffic on the road to let us get out. 
We were stuck there about half to three quarters of an hour. Apparently the stand off went on for about an hour and a half, it was a domestic dispute I think and he got away!
Next weeks shopping will seem very mundane after this adventure!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Never a dull moment, glad you are ok though Stavertongirl, must have been quite a shock for you

Rog

Now you know why I won't come back to Nottingham. Once heard it called...

'Gun capital of Britain'.

just as the entertainment begins in the village the heavens have opened up

Rog

10 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It's worse for me. I'm creosoting a fence. I thought what could I do to prove I'm not watching the television!

I was creosoting the timbers right up to the apex on our two storey Elizabethan faux timber fronted house when Princess Anne got married in 1973, I remember it well as it was the last job I did on the outside of the house before we emigrated.