Pubs on Bentinck Road in 1960s

This is a question for an older friend as we were discussing pubs on Bentinck Road in the 1960s (maybe even 1970s)

He used to go to one that he said had drag acts on and also, someone called Cassie on the piano. 

Can people remember any pubs on the road around that time? I'd love to be able to jog his memory of which one it might be!

He said the drag act was by someone called Johnny Peach

I'm open to correction on this, but I don't think there have ever been any pubs on Bentinck Road; I'm not aware of any and there's nothing on old maps or anywhere else.

The closest is/was the Alma Inn on the corner of Bentinck/Alfreton Road.

Welcome to Carolyn 1985 nice to see you posting 

Myself and master have been racking our heads to try to think of any pubs on Bentnick Rd and we have come up with the same post as Cliff 

12 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm open to correction on this, but I don't think there have ever been any pubs on Bentinck Road; I'm not aware of any and there's nothing on old maps or anywhere else.

The closest is/was the Alma Inn on the corner of Bentinck/Alfreton Road.

Interesting. Is there anything in the surrounding streets maybe? He did say it wasn't the Alma

1 hour ago, Carolyn1985 said:

Interesting. Is there anything in the surrounding streets maybe? He did say it wasn't the Alma

Could it have been some kind of club - rather than pub ?

I wonder if it was the Spread Eagle just up Alfreton Rd from Bentink Rd?

It became a nightclub. Think it was owned by Terry Doaks, a lad in the same year as me at Berridge.

Next one up from that would be the 'Forest Inn', corner of Forest Road and Alfreton Road. After that, there seemed to be a pub every hundred yards.

4 hours ago, Carolyn1985 said:

Your friend is probably remembering something which was near Bentinck Road - not on it.

Around the 1950s-60s there were at least a dozen pubs within a few hundred yards of Bentinck Road. And you could double that number with a slightly wider area.

5 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Could it have been some kind of club - rather than pub ?

Quite possibly. His memory is really really sharp but this was the only thing he couldn't recall!

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Your friend is probably remembering something which was near Bentinck Road - not on it.

Around the 1950s-60s there were at least a dozen pubs within a few hundred yards of Bentinck Road. And you could double that number with a slightly wider area.

That is what I was thinking

9 hours ago, denshaw said:

There was a pub further up Alfreton Road called the Generous Britton, they used to have a drag act called Angela Britvic. This could have been 80s.

Amazing! Did you ever go?

I've just done a search on this and found a lot of articles on Angela! Sounds like she raised a lot of money. I don't know if she is still alive though

For no reason other than I can, here's a list of the pubs within a short distance of Bentinck Road. It's not definitive. There's more the further out you go.

Radford Rd / Claypole Road - The Langham

Radford Rd / Hyson Street - The New Inn  

Birkin Avenue  - The Albany

Alfreton Rd / Palin Street - The Clarence 

Alfreton Rd / Bentinck Rd - Alma Inn

Gadd Street - Forest Grove Inn  

Ortzen Street -  Marquis of Waterford

Alfreton Rd - Spread Eagle

Alfreton Rd - Windmill

Independent Street - The Forest Lion 

Hartley Road - Col Burnaby

2 x either side end of Forest Rd Forest Inn and Queen Hotel

The junction of Bentinck Road/Hartley Road and Alfreton Road used to be known as Ation corner because of the pub (ruination), Bentinck Road school (education) and St. Michael's Church (salvation). I can't remember what was on the 4th corner. 

• Like 1

Allus thought that were Ilkeston road/Radford boulevard. The 4 nations...Education, Damnation,(Pawnshop),Ruination and Salvation.

School,pawnshop,pub and church.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

...nottingham_ng7_langham.jpg

About 1963 took Christine from Hibbert road Mansfield..to 'Goose Fair......and thought while we were there would show her the delights of 'Hyson Green''........'The ''Langham'' being one of em..

Whilst stood at the 'Bar'...she let out a scream...

'Whats up Duck?''

That bloke just squeezed my 'ARSE'

Yea..they do that in here...tek na notice Duck...

Another 'Babycham'?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1