The Archbishop of Canterbury

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve just read that the Archbishop of Canterbury been fined £500 for speeding!

’Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!  :biggrin:

Crikey! How fast was he going? That's a hefty fine.

Seems a steep fine plus 3 points but he was doing 25 in a 20 zone so 25% over speed limit.  I’m glad, never liked the bloke anyway! 

• Like 2

Speeding fines are proportionate to income afaik.  According to The Sun, Justin Welby's salary is £87k so a £300 fine (plus costs, etc.) sounds reasonable.

Who said crime doesn't pay? him and his cronies have made enough out of it, I've had a go at the padre at Newark quite a few times about the state of his church outside, all he can say is not down to him it's down to the council, I did hear the church in Newark was awarded quarter of a million pounds for improvements etc, no sign of any improvement when I've been near the place, funny old world innit, could have put some of that money towards the homeless but the church stay well clear of that subject, you've only got to look at how the big wigs at Lincoln cathedral had the homeless removed by the police from the areas around the building because it showed the cathedral in a bad light to the tourists, 

Rog

An ex vicar of ours, (St.Johns Bulwell) once told us that all vicarages should keep a room spare, for any homeless person. Sounds like Lincoln don't want any homeless, period !

• Like 1

Not wanted anywhere near the tourist route mate, castle/cathedral/steep hill, apparently it puts the tourists off, I would and do sometimes sit with the homeless rather than go anywhere near one of them scrounging sods, "it's easier for a  camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter heaven" springs to mind

Rog

• Like 1

It is about time all religious denominations had their tax exempt status removed as I understand that it was originally granted as the money donated to them goes towards helping individuals that the taxpayer would normally have to assist.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I t was announced last week that the church in our village St Mary's have been given permission from the diocese to "sell" one of it's pews for £200, it is advertised on the local website, one member of the village suggested it could be cleaned up and weather proofed and kept in the church yard for people to sit on and reflect, the church refused that idea out right because "Oak doesn't weather well and it wouldn't last" and they insist on selling it for £200, when are these grasping so and so's going to dip their grubby little trotters into their own coffers and help the homeless instead of thinking of themselves all the time, I am not a believer in any way shape or form but I know greed when I see it

Rog

What do they mean Oak doesn't weather well outside? Up where I work, we've got oaks hundreds of years old and no sign of rot. Nearly all the lock gates on canals are made of oak and they seem to do alright. One of our neighbours has a church pew outside his window. We've been here 18 years and it still looks as good as when we first saw it.

• Like 3

Talking of pews .........

A man goes to a funeral and after the round of speeches and eulogies he leans over the pew and asks the widow:

'Mind if I say a word?'

'No of course not, please do'.

The man stands up, clears his throat and says 'Abacus', then promptly sits back in his pew.

The widow turns to him and says: 'Thanks, it's the little things that count'.

• Like 1

Refusal to have the Pew in the churchyard may have more to do with the many and varied Ecclesiastical Commissioners' rules about what is permitted in churchyards and what is not.  A friend who lives in a lovely village not far from me recalled that the Georgian vicarage was sold some years ago as it was considered too large for modern day incumbents. It was a gift from the lord of the manor many years ago and cost the church precisely nothing, so they made a nice profit there.  Not long afterwards, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners' appeal for donations for a new church roof riled the residents who advised them to dip into the proceeds of sale because they weren't coughing up.

• Like 1

I know oak last year outside in the elements that's why it was used  in the old building but the grasping god botherers want money for it rather than have it in the church yard for all to use, 

Rog

Ian  Finn, yo might've sailed on the owd Galleons but I never did. I had to make do wiv Kon Tiki and that were made of balsa and bamboo.

As for Hearts of Oak, my Ultrasound and MRI shows my heart is of English China Clay.

• Like 2

Ah the Thor Hyerdahl (sp) raft Kon Tiki, read the book of the expedition a few years ago, do we still have great adventurers

Rog

Yes we do still have adventurers...There's Rog Plantfit and his home made bikes and not forgetting PhilMayfield and ancient tractors. Remember Jill Sparrow..Hedgehog breeder extraordinaire. 

• Like 2

Did I tell you I met a West African princess once Barrie? not that I like name dropping of course and if I did I couldn't remember her name now anyway

Rog