In July, we will be visiting Berridge again and it will be 54 years since I left in the summer of 1969. We won't go into what came after that but, last year, when we were doing a question and answer session with the pupils, I felt suddenly compelled to point out to them that although they're only ten years old now, one day they will find that fifty years have passed and they won't have a clue where the time has  gone. Neither will it seem odd to walk into their old classroom even though they haven't been there for decades.  I doubt they had any idea of what I was talking about. You can't unless it's happened to you and, when it has, they might remember that day and what I'd said. I'll be elsewhere by then. I just hope it's not sitting behind a school desk as a ten year old, thinking "I can't wait to get out of here!"

• Like 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fed up of going shopping only to find poor service everything but what you need with Amazon never had a problem the delivery guys very friendly help bring the things inside if too heavy for the wife b

It fcertainly was last week in Cornwall.

Never mind Nonna.......summer will come......thats when i used to grab my girl and run away.....

I only went back to Mellish for the closing ceremony a few years ago although I did go to the old headmaster’s memorial service at St. Mary’s Bulwell. The old staff who knew me were surprised to see me turn up in a Jag! I’ve never been back to Arno Vale Primary although I pass by quite often. They would probably think I was a child molester if I turned up now!

Called in Chandos school while over on my first trip back from Canada in 1974.  Everything I remembered now seemed so much smaller.  No longer a boys school now infants and juniors.

We can never really go back.  Our memories don't quite match anymore.  Better to just live with our memories IMHO.

I wouldn't want to go back (in time) Loppy. I do enjoy visiting such places, though, even if I didn't particularly appreciate being there as a child. I suppose I can reassure myself that I've done that and survived it.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I don’t think I ever went back to my old school but did have a meetup with quite a few class mates . It was enjoyable but sadly a few are no longer with us. 
The rain previously mentioned did end halfway through June and now we have a HOT heatwave. At the moment it’s 35 c and even in the evening the temperature doesn’t give any relief. Still there’s not much we can do but to enjoy it as autumn and winter will be here before long. Doesn’t time fly when you’re having fun? ..We do have a little problem. A milky sky ! Apparently the air has a lot of micro fine grains of sand and although the sky is blue with no clouds it seems it’s a bit foggy or rather misty. Cars are sprinkled with smudges of sand too.

It’s too hot to go outside at the moment so I’m watching a cookery programme on tv. Interesting because he’s showing ingredients for sauces for pasta. Very very simple. This he’s making with tomatoes , mint leaves , parsley, ricotta salata and extra virgin olive oil.  Just the thing to eat when it’s hot because heavy sauces fill you up too much . Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Yesterday marked 32 year anniversary of the hottest day in Phoenix ever. 122f. My friend was flying back from the UK that day. Apparently the manual for flying only covers the event of 120 degrees, for landing. So her plane diverted to Tucson, which is a tad cooler, sat on the runway until PHX dropped to 120. I guess the pilots weren't taking any chances. By contrast this year, it's been a much cooler than average June, for which we are thankful!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 1:40 AM, katyjay said:

Yesterday marked 32 year anniversary of the hottest day in Phoenix ever. 122f.

katyjay, with a record temperature of 118 deg F and 19 days with the temperature above 110 we hope you haven't melted.

19 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

katyjay, with a record temperature of 118 deg F and 19 days with the temperature above 110 we hope you haven't melted.

119 was actually the highest temp this week, but, we are in Europe and missing the heat!

• Like 1
On 7/21/2023 at 7:58 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The forecast for Nottingham tomorrow gives a temperature of 17 deg C, which is almost winter.

Just been out in it today, and it's a bit cool. Wearing clothes I hadn't used for several months, and turned up the heating in the car.

Did you get to the Lido katy? Its going to be 35C next week in Saskatchewan you must be sending the heat the this way we will take it another four months we will be scraping the frost off the windshield.

• Upvote 1

July 22 and the central heating has just come on! Wet cold and miserable all day long. We couldn’t work in the garden so we went to Hemswell Antique Centre. What a lot of rubbish. Came home empty handed. Only a sirloin steak, chips, salad and a glass of wine or two to cheer me up. Thinking of all those foreign chappies basking in the sun!

Cold wet morning in Newark, didn't hang around too long, just picked up the fruit and veg from the market then back home

Rog

Still is here mate, hopefully be a bit dryer next weekend, we are showing the vintage bikes at Heckington show

Rog

On 7/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, katyjay said:

119 was actually the highest temp this week, but, we are in Europe and missing the heat!

Don’t think so Kath.Stay north it’s slightly cooler. You won’t be going to the sea will you because the sea temperature has reached 47.5 c

It has turned cooler now , we’ve had a couple of short storms although with heavy rain .Today is much cooler and it’s been cloudy all day. Occasionally there’s a bit of wind and the suggestion of rain. Tomorrow it’s supposed to get warmer. What a lovely sensation not to be hot and sweaty..

• 2 weeks later...

Only one more month of winter here. Strangely we had one 25 deg day last week, most unusual for this lime of the year. The long range forecast is for a hot summer, hooray!

Apparently this will be caused by El Nino water warming in the Pacific and a Positive Indian Ocean Diopole, whatever they are. Just want some hot sunny summer days.

• Like 2