• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fed up of going shopping only to find poor service everything but what you need with Amazon never had a problem the delivery guys very friendly help bring the things inside if too heavy for the wife b

It fcertainly was last week in Cornwall.

Never mind Nonna.......summer will come......thats when i used to grab my girl and run away.....

Just read in the Newark advertiser the old M&S building is going to be demolished, it was only a few weeks ago it was announced it was going to be converted into small units and dwellings, I saw a couple more shops closed on Stodman street this morning not forgetting the final closure of Wetherspoons later this month (incidentally it was full of customers this morning)

Rog

Local authorities exclude cars from town centres and the car parks charge exorbitant fees. Shoppers go to the out of town ‘sheds’ where parking is free. We’ve not been into the centre of Newark or Nottingham for years. We have no bus service, it’s a long walk to the railway station (where there’s nowhere to park) and very few trains actually stop. Amazon deliver next day without any hassle.

• Like 2

In my ignorance, I've always been a bit apprehensive about using Amazon. A bit irrational I know but I've heard taies of people being stung when buying blind on such as Amazon or Ebay. Wish I had the courage to give it a try, but I believe one has enrol or subscribe  or whatever it's called.

Next day Amazon prime requires a subscription. Normal delivery doesn’t. We’ve used them for years without a single problem. We order the most mundane things as to go to a shop can be a ten or twenty mile round trip to Southwell or Newark. We’ve  bought everything from birthday cards to garden furniture. For food and household goods we’ll do a 20 mile supermarket round trip. Lots of people round here do have food deliveries but we like to see what we’re getting. We have a large parcel box which accommodates the bulk of our deliveries so we don’t have to wait in.

• Like 3

Fed up of going shopping only to find poor service everything but what you need with Amazon never had a problem the delivery guys very friendly help bring the things inside if too heavy for the wife being she is partly disabled.All their products are well known brands.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree Amazon sometimes is a godsend. Lately I’ve used it a lot mainly because like Phil there’s no shop nearby that sells what I need in a hurry. The other morning I needed to access my phone but it was discharged. I couldn’t understand why until checking that everything was connected properly I found the wiring inside the cable was fraying .   NOw to buy a new one And spend more I have to get to shops such as Media World and it’s a 20 minute journey in this heat trying to park etc it’s just not worth it. I found a 1 meter cable for 5 €. It would have cost me that in petrol.Pool  chemicals are the same they are still expensive but much cheaper on Amazon. I am constantly running out of printing in cartridges so what do I do? Amazon again. Yes to have Prime you pay the price but it’s so convenient , you run out and the product is there the following day. It’s an ideal situation for people living a long way from shops

( civilization) As Ian says the delivery boys are so friendly. We used to have a young man who became a friend. He’d always got a smile, always asked how we were and he used to tell us his worries and problems. We missed him when others started to deliver but the others are the same. We have some that when they see us coming out of the front door hold the packs up and place them on the low wall and look over at the pool and most say “oh if only I wasn’t t on duty I could dive in”

One made us laugh as he took a photo and said he felt cooler just looking at the photo.

Temperatures are up again or should I say are resisting. Until Friday 38c then they are going to drop my daughter has enjoyed the heat for the last 2 weeks but she starts back to work Tuesday starting to prepare for the summer festivities, concerts displays etc so she’s not very happy starting back to cooking again in those temperatures. It it’s almost the end of August and the weather does change then it goes mad a bit and settles down but now .. who knows.

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It’s definitely St.Mawes. We’ve stayed in that hotel and have sailed into the harbour many times both on the Falmouth ferry and in our own boat.

Spot on Phil.

Funny thing was me & Mrs C booked the ferry from Falmouthto St Maws but boarded the wrong boat. All boats seem the same to me with a pointed end & a blunt end. Anyhow when the bloke come to check our tickets we were on a two & half hour river cruise of the river Fal instead. Never mind it was free of charge .

• Like 2

Been on King Harry ferry a few times. Many years ago, when working down that way, x-raying China Clay workers and Tin miners.