I don’t know what it’s like in UK but here we’re getting fed up with the weather. We’ve had no rain for months on end now we’ve got rain, rain and more rain. It’s not stopped for 2-3 weeks and is forecast again for the next weeks. We are all feeling sad for Emilia Romagna because the floods there have caused such a major catastrophe. 300.000 evacuated, some deaths, too many. And still it hasn’t stopped raining. Now we have an alert as Piemonte has areas where there are floods or risk of floods. 
Sorry I know it hasn’t anything to do with Nottingham and many won’t be interested but had to share my feelings with you as we in this area have already shared between us the sadness of this unbelievable weather.

This date last year we had 31 c today we are lucky if we have 22. We can see the mountains from our house and they are fairly full of snow, if the temperature rises too much we are in direct line for floods via Turin.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fed up of going shopping only to find poor service everything but what you need with Amazon never had a problem the delivery guys very friendly help bring the things inside if too heavy for the wife b

It fcertainly was last week in Cornwall.

Never mind Nonna.......summer will come......thats when i used to grab my girl and run away.....

Sorry to hear this terrible news Nonna. I didn't want to press Like or Love. We need a Oh No button to press!

• Like 1

It does sound bad weather-wise where you live nonna.  I hope it will soon stabilise and not have the extremes of no rain/too much rain.  It must be worrying for you xx

How worrying for you Nonna, we saw the terrible devastation caused by the floods while watching the news yesterday and we were hoping it wasn’t affecting you, you’re a bit further north than the worst flooding aren’t you?   Fingers crossed that the rains cease soon and your beautiful part of the World enjoys a hot and dry Summer. 

Thank you heard today that it’s going to continue until June around the end Hope they’re wrong

In a strange coincidence, I'm reading Nonna's post during the warmest, sunniest day we've had in Nottingham so far this year.

And I also see that another consequence of the Italian floods is that the F1 Grand Prix has been cancelled because of the conditions in the area.

CT we have a car rally tomorrow and it’s still raining hard. Last year they left skid marks along all the lanes uphill and downhill Hope they don’t skid off the roads as there are ditches and “ cliffs hangers” practically at every bend. Expecting to put a Private Property notice as loads of cars park outside the house and we can’t get out of the gate

Nonna, hope you will be ok. We just managed to depart from Florence the day before they had that huge hailstorm on the Friday. The weather is certainly very bizarre in Italy at the moment.

Mrs B you really were lucky. This morning it was just spitting lightly then the sun came out. Unbelievable, I hoped it would spread to Emilia Romagna. It’s heart breaking to see the sadness of the residents there. Some haven’t even got a change of clothes because they were covered in mud even up to 3rd story of their apartments. 
The car rally was noisy, we walked up to the corner to watch a little and that was enough. They came through our short cut which is a windy hilly narrow road not enough room for 2 cars to pass. The summit is uphill and they had to turn left uphill immediately and turn the opposite way round a roundabout which is only tiny. All we could hear was screeching, thudding and backfiring up the hill. Fortunately the weather kept fine for them but don’t know yet how the shortcut faired.

Yesterday tremendous storm with unbelievable hail. Floods everywhere in this area. Tonight the wine festival starts for 3 days and the streets are full of mud and debris. The cleanup started very early this morning but it’s going to be difficult to get everywhere sorted before 7.30 pm. We had water entering in the house. A drain in a store area the force of the water lifted the lid. Water also came through a skylight window and ruined a dining table. So let’s start to enjoy this wine festival , get drunk and forget the b….y rain. At least for 3 days before it starts again. We did open the pool ready for the summer and I’ve had to lower the water twice as it was overflowing. Thinking now to close it again because don’t think we’ll be able to enjoy it this summer.

Sounds dreadful,  nonna.  I really hope your freak weather will soon stabilise x

• Like 1

Never mind Nonna.......summer will come......thats when i used to grab my girl and run away.....:rolleyes:

• Like 4

I remember the song 'so well' and the name of Jerry Keller...........I'd just had my last summer of school.(59).....which was all Music.Dancing.... Cricket..Tennis...and of course girls........reckon it was my best summer ever...:rolleyes:

Just looked him up on Wiki'' pleased to say... though he's in his 80s he's still performing....and yes, it was a one hit wonder in the UK for him.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I want to know what has happened to all our potatoes?  

When summer came you could get small Italian Kidneys, Jersey Royals, and I am sure but I think there was another one. Later you would get Whites. King Edward Reds, there were a few others but names I can't recall.

Last week I brought some "Jersey Royals" from one of our super-markets!!! Well thats what it said on the bag.???

@mary1947, have a try of the tinned taters from Aldi. They're lovely with salad, sautéed in an airfryer or chopped up and add Mayonnaise for a super potato salad.x

• Like 2
On 5/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, benjamin1945 said:

I remember the song 'so well' and the name of Jerry Keller...........I'd just had my last summer of school.(59).....which was all Music.Dancing.... Cricket..Tennis...and of course girls........reckon it was my best summer ever...:rolleyes:

Just looked him up on Wiki'' pleased to say... though he's in his 80s he's still performing....and yes, it was a one hit wonder in the UK for him.....

Brought back a few good memories.  Thanks Ben.

You and I were very similar.  Left school in 59.  Started first job in Jan'60.

That sounded very American.  No drive in movies in Nottingham in the 60s.  Had to make do with the Ritz Carlton,  ABC, or Odeon.  Very pleasant.  Didn't have a car either.

• Like 1

The American way was a dream 'Loppy''............our way was ''Walking in the summer rain'' holding hands with the girl of the moment......on the way to the pictures Vernon..Adelphi...Highbury or Futurist......trying to look like Billy Fury.....bag of ''Chips and Fish bits'' on the way home.........a goodnight Kiss at the girls front gate.....then Dancing all the way home........would'nt change a thing....:)

• Like 1
On 5/27/2023 at 10:08 AM, Beekay said:

@mary1947, have a try of the tinned taters from Aldi. They're lovely with salad, sautéed in an airfryer or chopped up and add Mayonnaise for a super potato salad.x

I've always liked those 'waxy' potatoes that come in tins. I also like them sliced and fried as part of an Egg and Bacon brekkie, or added to an omelette.

Lot's of nice memories of Summers past.

Whenever I think of Summer back home as a kid I get that same image of the view from our old house on Southglade, before that massive Gala Bingo, or Rise Park, Top Valley etc., were thought of. Open fields opposite and as far as the eye could see, and over to the left, beyond the Leen Valley Line, over Boowul Common, over the Great Central, over Highbury and down to the Leen Valley proper, with Bulwell sitting comfortably in the evening Sun. St Mary's Church, a few chimneys and a couple of colliery headstocks visible, but they didn't spoil the feeling of warm familiarity.

This one always reminds me of walking across Boowul Common and via the old Bulwell Common Station access, down through Highbury to meet my pals at Boowul Bogs, mid 60s...

Far Out Man!!

• Like 1

I remember having to go to bed well before it was dark on summer nights in my childhood.  I also remember standing on the window sill and seeing the winding wheel of Radford Pit in the distance. I must have been very young then.  After tea, usually on Saturdays or Sundays, we'd walk to The Arboretum and, on one occasion, got caught in a terrific thunderstorm. My father was wearing a brand new Harris Tweed jacket which got soaked and was never the same again afterwards.

Life was very different in those far off days, which now don't seem so far off.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Far Out Man!!

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Life was very different in those far off days, which now don't seem so far off.

Donovan was 77 years old a couple of weeks ago. His version of Buffy Saine-Marie's Universal Soldier was an anthem of my youth.

Bob Dylan was 82 on 10th May too. Like Jill, I still think it was only yesterday we were singing protest songs about civil rights and anti war movements

• Like 1