When you bring home your weekly shop how much rubbish do you have to put in the bin?

How to recycle ? Lets go back a few years!!!!!!

1/ "POP" Fizzy drink bottles    if you took your empty bottle back to the shop, you would get paid 3d

2/ Milk  milkmen would deliver fresh milk every day all you had to do was leave your emptys on your doorstep

OPPS!! did not the milkmen drive electric floats ? 

3/  Shippos horses  when the dray men stopped for a pint and lunch did you not take your bucket and dustpan to collect the fertilizer

4/ Carrier bags yes my mum would buy a brown paper carrier bag for 4d but that bag was so wellmade it would last easy 6months.

5/ Stepto n Son    Rag and bone man would come and collcet old cloths and other things again cart with horse

6/ Trolley bus   were these bus'es eletric?

There are many more that    Can you add any to the list?

• Like 2

There must be loads. From a textiles point of view - Darning socks instead of buying new. Unravelling hand knits to make new ones with the wool. Mending shoes (cobblers!) instead of buying new. It’s a bit late to put my brain to work on this one, no doubt I will think of some more.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, MRS B said:

Darning socks instead of buying new. Unravelling hand knits to make new ones with the wool. Mending shoes (cobblers!) instead of buying new.

I don't know of anyone that darns socks anymore, nor patches worn or torn clothes. I have a mate who still soles and heels his favourite boots. I hated it when my mum used wool that had previously been knitted as you could never get rid of the "crinkles" and it was obvious that it was re-used wool.

47 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

When you bring home your weekly shop how much rubbish do you have to put in the bin?

Luckily, we can put our food scraps in our green waste bins but by far the fullest bin is the recycling bin, mostly non-essential overpackaging of food stuffs. Why do bananas have to be wrapped in plastic when they come in a perfect nature provided pack, potatoes in plastic bags along with salad items and many fruits and vegetables wrapped or bagged in thin plastic film or trays. What is wrong with the paper or string bag of our youth? On the upside our major supermarket chains have banned the use of plastic bags from the end of this month but appear to have done nothing much about other excessive food packaging.

Not recycling, but our major supermarkets have vastly increased the amount of food waste by insisting that the consumer wants only "perfect" fruit and vegetables and any mis-shaped or scarred ones are rejected. Were you asked, I know I wasn't, a triumph of marketing over sense.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Who said we should recycle?

Hi Mrs B       The point that I am trying to get over, is that when I was knee-high to a grass hopper( if your read again what I have written )  we were allready recyclycling then some one came up with the idear of having 3/4 bins.  I am not taking about darning socks any more that's make do and mend.

i just think that when we shop just look at the waste paper wrappings  again when shopping with my mum (many years ago) we never had this much paper to throw away.

I can remember my mum having a string bag with some newspaper in it for the veg shopping. Potatoes and any other loose veg, such as peas (in their pods of course!) kidney beans, carrots, would get wrapped in the paper and larger veg, cauliflower etc, would just go in the bag. Obviously the bag was reusable and the paper, when worn could be used for making the fire up

• Like 1

My mother also kept a large raffia shopping bag for vegetable shopping. She bought most of her veggies from Wealthall's on Grimston Road as they were always good quality. Nothing was wrapped up and veggies were tipped into the bag from the weighing scale with the earth still on them.  She also saved paper bags for reuse.

I hate waste. I try to reuse anything I can and, yes, I am a great make do and mender, always have been. That was the way I was brought up. I'm not going to change now.

@MRS B when you me mentioned darning socks it reminded me of the wooden ‘mushroom’ my mum and I used for this purpose.  I still have it - it must be around 100 years old by now.  Like Jill, we are ‘make do and menders’ but I no longer darn socks as they generally aren’t wool, and the synthetic mixes aren’t as good for darning.  I do recycle the socks though, as I tie them together in knots to make a dog toy!!!

Margie, I still have mum’s wooden darning mushroom too and a lot of her knitting needles. I do blankets for both the RSPCA and the neonatal units in Leicester. Keeps me out of mischief of an evening. I can’t just sit and watch telly, I get fidgety.

• Like 2

I'm the same Mrs B. I have a lot of scarves knitted for 'emergency' gifts and I made 40 baby hats recently and gave to a midwife. Can't just sit and watch the telly. Plus knitting keeps me awake!

• Like 2

A few of the lady ( can I say that?) residents got together and knitted a load of little beany hats, of 3 different sizes for premature babies, also pods and mittens. Some knitted cot blankets. Got pictures of finished work and the knitting patterns, @katyjay, if you want to do some more.xx

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The easiest blanket to do in any weight yarn from DK and below is just to start with one stitch and increase at the beginning of every row in 2nd stitch till it measures 18ins down the side, then decrease on 2nd stitch at the beg of the row till finished. All knit rows.

easy peasy.

• Upvote 1

Can some kind person please decipher the above post for me. I tried to read a knitting pattern once and it just gave me 'Brain Fog'. :crazy:

• Like 1

Beekay, I have lots of patterns, thank you, but would love to see pics of their finished work. You can email them if you like 

Beekay, you can’t be good at everything, although you are at most. I knew Katyjay would know what I was rambling on about.

MrsButton mushroom, I think I might put an order in for some of your toms and veg. Do you deliver and do I order online? thumbsupxx

Incidentally,  I have no claim to be good at anything. I just Bumble along the best I can.x

ME?? knitting I was expecting my first baby, decided to knit a matanie coat 1st baby size. It was just finished when my son was born.  Mum and Dad brought me a sowing machine for my 21st so again when having my first baby thought I would make a maternity dress  by tha the time I had finished it you could have fit a baby elephant in it. Now I know we put on weight but (NO COMMENTS FROM THE MEN,  PLEASE

HA HA yes maybe I will apply   Gis a job

Going back a few years,

We did not have washing powder in a pod. we did not have disposable nappies , there were not many people using tissues, 

Talking of tissues. When 'er indoors' was a youngster back in the 50s, soft toilet rolls hadn't been invented. It were Izal tracing paper or cut newspaper on string. Her mum, who worked at the  Co-op greengrocers at the top of Aspley lane/Broxtowe Lane, well she used to save the tissue paper that was wrapped around oranges, when they came in the two sectioned orange boxes. I believe she used to flatten out the tissues with a cool iron.

Happy days eh ! Soft tissue and not the Daily Mirror.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Recycling