What is the world coming to?

I am sure you have seen the media reports of a 95 year woman in a care home with dementia and on a walking frame being tasered by New South Wales police in Cooma. The lady, Clare Nowland was claimed by police to be advancing slowly towards them with her walking frame and carrying a knife. A taser was used and media reports say Clare fell and hit her head. The taser was fired by a police officer with 12 years experience who is currently "no longer in the office". The Police Commissioner has so far refused requests to release bodycam footage of the incident. Clare who frail, is 5'2" and 43 kg and remains in a critical but stable condition in Cooma hospital. The question remains as to why two officers thought it necessary to use such force and could/should they have handled it differently.

On the opposite side of the equation Adelaide traffic was disrupted for several hours by a 69 year old "Extinction Rebellion protester" who had abseiled from a city bridge. Police and emergency services were called to remove the protester from the bridge. The response was for parliament to increase the fines for protesters that cause disruption from $750 to $50,000 or three months in jail. (As if these protesters are likely to pay any fines) The change in laws took less than 24 hours to get through both houses of parliament.

• Like 1

Meanwhile here in the UK protesters who glue themselves to the roads and disrupt honest folk going to work, appointments and hospital are looked after by the police giving them water to drink and making sure they are alright, the UK has lost the plot big time when the police look after the criminals and the victims take a back seat, respect for the police is non existent no wonder, when it seems the only crime or offence they can solve is if there is a registration number to follow at speed, rant over

Rog

• Like 4

They wouldn't be able to protest so much if the police weren't there to protect them because the general public would sort them out. These people are so thick they cannot see that they are defeating their own argument no matter what it is through their behaviour.

• Like 2

Just spoiled kids Woody, mummy and daddy should have gave them a bit of discipline when they were younger instead of pandering to their every need, they should have learned that stamping your feet and shouting doesn't get what you want in the real world but we are stuck with the spoiled brats, I agree in the right to protest but not to protest by illegal means

Rog

• Like 2

I am with you there. No matter how valid the arguement there is no justification for the current style of protest. When they block emergency vehicles the time has come for swift and very firm action. The current penalties are not severe enough, perhaps if they were trebled and firmly enforced it might get through to them that their behaviour is totally unacceptable. There again it is difficult to educate the uneducateable.

• Like 2
On 5/21/2023 at 2:10 AM, Oztalgian said:

I am sure you have seen the media reports of a 95 year woman in a care home with dementia and on a walking frame being tasered by New South Wales police in Cooma. The lady, Clare Nowland was claimed by police to be advancing slowly towards them with her walking frame and carrying a knife. A taser was used and media reports say Clare fell and hit her head. The taser was fired by a police officer with 12 years experience who is currently "no longer in the office".

BBC eventually running the story...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-65642976

The latest news is that the officer that tasered Clare Nowland has been stood down on full pay and Clare is receiving "end of life care" in Cooma hospital.

Unless the police release the bodycam footage the public will probably never know what really happened and caused the officer to use a taser on a frail 95 year old with dementia. 

From an outsiders point of view, it's always possible that the lady was just confused. At 4.00am, I wouldn't have thought there would be many folks around. It's said, 'she had a walking frame but she had a knife' and walking 'slowly' towards the officer. She could have been looking for some butter to put on her slice of imaginary bread. Who knows?, it's all supposition.

If she dies, that officer should be charged with Manslaughter.

Like I said, it's only an opinion from what I've read about the incident.

• Like 2

Very well put Barrie, obviously innocent before proven guilty does not apply to this copper, you got to ask the question if she was walking slowly was he even slower than her, just one question in no doubt dozens more he needs to answer

Rog

• Like 1

@plantfit,Make me wonder, what sort of threat the officer thought, that a woman 60+ years his senior could be to him. Did he think she was some sort of 'Gangsta Granny', hell bent on causing carnage. At this side of the world, one can only speculate, (until we hear from our correspondant Oz.)

• Like 1

Whatever the officer motives and state of mind at the time, he should not be working with guns and tasers.

I notice that the Evening Post are asking readers to sum up Nottingham in three words, Bit brave, I can imagine the initial reaction of many people I know.

Anyone got any good ones?

12 hours ago, Beekay said:

Did he think she was some sort of 'Gangsta Granny',

No! "Hells Grannies". in our area they wear their colours and terrorise our shopping centres on their mobility scooters.

Alcohol-Fuelled 'Hell's Grannies' Evicted From Estate In Eskra | Tyrone  Tribulations

Nottingham Midland Queen, or once was?

• Like 1

Thanks Oz !!! That picture will give me nightmares for ages.

Gonna padlock and chain the scooter of 'er indoors', afore she gets any ideas, after seeing that.

• Like 1

I went shopping at morrisons today and I had to use their toilets , I became confused as there was only male and female toilets. Are all of us with other genders being discriminated against or am I a stupid old s*d causing problems.

• Like 1

A 95-year-old woman who was Tasered by police at an Australian care home, sparking a public outcry, has died.

Clare Nowland was critically injured after police responded to reports she was wandering around the home with a steak knife at about 04:00 last Wednesday.

New South Wales Police (NSW) said she died "surrounded by family and loved ones". :(

Having had two near misses with mobility scooters turning into the road in front of me this week I am beginning to wonder if they are the new urban terrorists. Without warning they both simply made right angled turns to cross the road and not at designated crossing points. About time these people needed to pass an assessment before being allowed out in public. I am sympathetic to their needs but a lot of them are a danger to themselves and everybody else.

• Like 2

See quite a lot in Lincoln, barge their way through the crowd, park the machine and swiftly nip into the shop, cafe, pub, bless em, some of these things are built like tanks

Lincoln_mini_festival_2022_(53).jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Years ago I knew a man whose wife needed one but never used it as she never left the house. He went to the pub every lunch time using the scooter, as he admitted that it was the only way he could make it home. Our friendship never lasted long after I expressed my opinions to him on driving it on the pavement ,whilst plastered.

• Like 1