The soundtrack of my youth falls ever fainter with the overnight death of "The Queen of Rock 'n Roll" Tina Turner.

From Nutbush City Limits to Simply the Best which became the anthem of Australian Rugby League, thank you for the music

Simply the Best whenever I hear it played reminds me when I went to Benidorm with the "lads", where we ended up at exactly 0200hrs the live entertainment finished and on came Simply the best by Tina.  Even now when I hear it I say its 2 oclock and I still receive disapproving looks and the occasional comment from the other half, great times. 

I first heard of her through 'River Deep' in 1966 and quickly found more of her output with Ike, such 'It's Gonna Work Out Fine'. Their 60s singles 'So Fine' and 'Anything You Wasn't Born With'/'Beauty is Just Skin Deep' were on my play list when DJing.  She looked destined to join a long list of excellent US R&B performers  who would have legendary but low key status as innovators and contributors of material either adopted by the UK club scene, or used to provide 'covers' for UK 'beat groups',.. But after her resurgence, she swept all before her.

A fabulous performer and an exemplary woman.

RIP.

Like you DJ360 I first heard of her (and Ike) from River Deep and Proud Mary, going on to What’s Love Got To Do With It, We Don’t Need Another Hero and my all time favourite Simply The Best. She triumphed over a rough time with Ike Turner and became a superstar in every sense of the word. My biggest regret is never seeing her live on stage. 
Another one gone. 
RIP Tina Turner.

I’ve always been a big fan of Tina, initially when she was with Ike.  I bragged for many years that I’d seen them at The Dungeon in the mid 60s but then found out that it was actually Charlie and Inez Foxx I’d seen!   
We didn’t see her perform live until 2000.  This was meant to be her Farewell concert at the soon to be demolished Wembley Stadium.  She of course couldn’t give up performing and in 2008 we saw her at the American Airlines Arena in Miami, we just HAD to be there, thinking that she wouldn’t ever perform in the UK again.  A brilliant night but the seats weren’t the best as we bought them a bit last minute.  Lo and behold the old gal brought that same show to Europe in 2009 and I was quick off the mark getting tickets at Sheffield Arena, and I knew exactly where we wanted to sit.  It was a fabulous concert and we were sitting right in the action and a night never to be forgotten.  
This morning on Radio Nottingham Mark Dennison was talking to an old school friend of mine, John Briley.  John was a high-flyer in the music industry and signed Tina to EMI in the 80s and knew her really well.  Interesting to hear what he had to say.  John was in a couple of local bands in the 60s, including ‘Salty Dogs’ alongside Nottstalgian  Moz.  
God bless Tina, fantastic performer and her music will be played forever. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I watched Tinas concert on Sky Arts last night ,anybody else?. Its not the first time I have seen it but it was fantastic again, a magnificent artist and performer it brings shivers to my body. I looked for lizzie in the crowds but a few to many there, in hindsight I wish I had been there.

I've written this before somewhere but when River Deep Mountain High came out (1966 ?) , I was helping my brother renovate an old cottage in Blidworth Bottoms. My job was to chip the mortar off a pile of old reclaimed bricks !!

I remember it had been a blazing hot day and we had the radio on listening to Alan Freeman's Pick of the Pops on Sunday teatime.

He said something like ..."and now a new one from Ike and Tina Turner"...

River Deep started and It was so different to anything else at the time, I had to stop my chiseling and listen to this amazing song . Been a favourite ever since.

In other news read somewhere today that one of her other hit songs " What's Love Got to Do With it" had previously been recorded by Bucks Fizz and should have been released before her version.

Don't think I've ever heard that version.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DAVIDW said:

I was helping my brother renovate an old cottage in Blidworth Bottoms.

After you had finished I'll bet you went to the Fox and Hounds for a couple of pints of Kimberley Ale.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

After you had finished I'll bet you went to the Fox and Hounds for a couple of pints of Kimberley 

Ha , you'd lose . Don't really remember the village or the pub at all now unfortunately but I would have had to drive back to the city so no drinking for me :)