Does anyone remember or have information about a crisp factory in Daybrook. It was still operating in the 1950s as far as I remember. It was on a lane , possibly Morley Street. My mother used to refer to the crisp factory as "Crookie Crisps".

Only reference I can see from the Nottm Evening Post 21st Sept 1951.

A crisp frying range caught fire today at the Crookie Crisp Factory, Hucknall-road, Nottingham. The City Fire Brigade attended, but the fire was out on their arrival. 

31 July 1951 - Nottingham 

Other articles called it "Crooky Crisps" (with a y). 

Another report , from around the same time (but not giving the factory name ) mentioned a "crisp factory at 288 Hucknall Rd" being fined for employing a 15 year old boy beyond the allowed work times.

The owner was given as a James E Cruikshank

Reading this also reminds me of a long low factory at the Woodborough Rd end of Porchester Road that was supposed to have made what I was told were Nibb-its crisps , if anyone remembers them .

Edit: it appears Crooky Crisps also owned the Nibb-its brand.

• Like 1

I remember Nibits , they were the BEST snacks ever made.

The nearest thing to them nowadays would be fried crispy noodles, but nothing like the taste.

I used to love Nibb-its too , until someone at school , whose mum I believe worked there (Porchester Rd) , said that they used to sweep the floor and pick up any Nibb-its that had fallen from the machines and put them in the retail bags.

Whether it was true or not ,no idea but it put me off 'em.

1 hour ago, DAVIDW said:

A crisp frying range caught fire today at the Crookie Crisp Factory, Hucknall-road, Nottingham. The City Fire Brigade attended, but the fire was out on their arrival. 

31 July 1951 - Nottingham 

Another report , from around the same time (but not giving the factory name ) mentioned a "crisp factory at 288 Hucknall Rd" being fined for employing a 15 year old boy beyond the allowed work times.

Slightly awkward to locate that today.   https://goo.gl/maps/oKkEw2tBvHruVsD49

Haydn Court - on the right - is 286 Hucknall Rd; and Townsend Court - on the left - is 294.

In 1974 , number 288 was a door company called Industrial Door Company of Nottingham if that rings any bells .

On 5/27/2023 at 4:12 AM, Beekay said:

I remember Nibits , they were the BEST snacks ever made.

The nearest thing to them nowadays would be fried crispy noodles

I agree Beekay, Nibbits were my favourite too, I think they were made from potatoes weren't they?

I liked the fried crispy noodles you used to get in the Vesta Chow Mein meals, can you still get them?

I was amazed to see some of those Vesta cardboard meals the other day but I'm not sure where I was. It might have been Poundstretcher but not certain. It was somewhere I don't normally go. I remember them from the 1960s. It was fun to watch the cardboard noodles spring into life when being cooked but they still tasted like cardboard to me.  I had no idea they were still available.

• Like 1