Is 2023 going to be a good year in the garden

My garden is looking colourful now, a bit earlier than previous years but I'm not complaining

DSCF2209_(3).jpg

DSCF2216.jpg

DSCF2217.jpg

Three different Roses in the front garden,(yellow, pink, white) Lupins and Delphiniums behind the greenhouse and a Swedish Hornbeam tree in full flower

Rog

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have one less PLANTPOT with a flowering plant in this morning........my lovely widow next door has been quite ill lately....So i placed my 'Pot' right in front of her bedroom window late last night.

My garden is looking colourful now, a bit earlier than previous years but I'm not complaining     Three different Roses in the front garden,(yellow, pink, white) Lupin

I’ve just been trying to clear a very weedy patch that was formerly a mint bed. I thought it would be better to pull the weeds out rather than strim them off. I used my long leverage weed puller. The

Thankyou kind sir, all I really do is cut the dead heads off every day and chop em down every year and nature takes care of the rest

Rog

I’ve just been trying to clear a very weedy patch that was formerly a mint bed. I thought it would be better to pull the weeds out rather than strim them off. I used my long leverage weed puller. The weed gave way and I flew backwards through the air for what seemed like an eternity. I lay spreadeagled on my back on the grass path for five minutes in the warm sunshine whilst contemplating which bones I might have broken. I eventually managed to haul myself up much to the amusement of the cat that was watching. I came indoors for a cup of tea and a Kit Kat. Now that I’m composed I’m going to get out my big wheeled strimmer and attack the weeds with a vengeance!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

And nobody there with a camera, to record what could have been a pleasant afternoon, lying in the sun. smile2

• Like 1

Plantfit, all looking very beautiful. Roses are my passion but I don’t have luck with lupins at all. I had loads including one called Manhattan Lights which was a corker. My ground is really too wet for them and they just rot unfortunately or get attacked by aphids.

Phil, just like you I fell backwards last Saturday and then managed to get up and be thankful that I hadn’t broken anything either.We will have to be more careful I guess.

• Like 1

Flying’s safer than gardening any day. I’ve only had one near-fatal accident in the air with no visible scarring. I’ve already lost a fingertip in the garden and the scar on my cheek is from a car crash!

Just to think, in my days back at the factory, I was the one who implemented all the health and safety regulations. ‘When you do a job always think safety’ I used to tell my staff.

• Like 1

@plantfit, talking of attractive gardens. This is the view we have to look at outside our lounge window. Because ours is an Almshouse trust, we are not permitted to cultivate the bank. We have to rely on gardeners who come round once a fortnight. At least it's not a brick wall.

20230527-171625.jpg

• Like 1

Not the best view in the world but like you say better than a brick wall, nice to see you feed our little feathered friends

The view over my back garden is not too bad but I do keep the grass and weeds etc cut down for a few feet to stop them coming through my fence, the farmer just lets the field run wild for the past couple of years, sommat to do with being paid for it, I'm sure he could make more money if he grew stuff or had some livestock on it

P1070436.jpg

Rog

I'd love a back garden next to open farmland.

As it is, the view from the back is of the houses in the next street, but it could be worse. This is a 'sought after' development in a quiet-ish village. The houses are 70s built and well kept. Mostly quiet neighbours apart from the moron on the end at the back with his cheap disco gear. Most gardens are neat, with a nice range of flowering trees etc.. so it's nice enough. In Summer the view is blocked by a couple of large Ash trees on the open space at the bottome but in Winter, if I stand on tip toe, I can see between the houses to the the hamlet of Crank, with bits of Rainford and Liverpool in the far distance.

At the front, It's houses opposite, but well kept and decent neighbours. Looking to the bottom of the cul-de sac, two houses down, I see an open field, a shallow valley with a stream and on the other side, a small group of buildings clustered around a mid 18th C farmhouse. It could be very much worse.

The garden is a bit odd this year. I lost several perennials including all Delphiniums, a couple of Achillea and one red Lupin, yet oddly, short lived perennials such as Echinacea all survived and are thriving. Other red and yellow lupins are fine and there are plenty of Aquilegias from seed. Not much impressed with those as they're not a patch on the long spurred hybrids I had for many years.  Must find more.

My veg patch is temporarily out of commission as it's a dumping ground for general crud from re-laying my patio, though my Hazel poles for Runner Beans are still in place from last year and this years beans are at the seedling stage. 

'Patio' almost done. Just three or four 2x1 slabs to lay. Couple of cuts were needed which I did yesterday with a little angle grinder I snaffled from B&Q 'on offer'. Then the tedium of grouting between slabs and it's done.

Bees are buzzing all around my oriental poppies, totally high on nectar.

IMG-0137.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Then the tedium of grouting between slabs and it's done.

Why don't you just put on some polymer "locking sand", brush it into the gaps with a broom, remove any excess and mist lightly with water, jobs a good 'un

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Is 2023 going to be a good year in the garden
1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Why don't you just put on some polymer "locking sand", brush it into the gaps with a broom, remove any excess and mist lightly with water, jobs a good 'un

Mainly because I find reviews of that stuff so variable.

10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Mainly because I find reviews of that stuff so variable.

I agree with variability, I bought one brand as the one I normally use was unavailable, it was useless, did not flow or harden properly. Ask a paving professional which brand they use.

• 3 weeks later...

Roses looking and smelling lovely this year especially after the brutal pruning I gave them at the beginning of the year

DSCF2244-2.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

WP-20220620-17-02-14-Pro.jpg
How can you not love roses Trogg?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Roses are beautiful and I have quite a few I'm very fond of. I also love honeysuckle. At my previous house, I grew Monarda Didyma Bergamot. Another beautiful fragrance. I must like smelly plants!

• Like 1