All life was there before Demolition...........

1960 was the year i got to know ''Old St.Ann's...........working as a Van Lad for British Rail out of Midland station, Station street...

The folk were friendly and Poor.....the riots of the 50s had been and gone.......

people all seemed to me to get along.....Locarno on the edge was my age groups favourite venue...never really saw any trouble...just happy Dances in Italian suits out for a good time.....

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

just a message to post that have mentioned St Ann's 

Memories of St Ann's dedicated to the people who lived there.

Houses are unfit for human habitation so the council said  !!!!!       What about the people who lived there?

St Ann's was a community like no other, you could always rely on your neighbours. If your mum went out to work (most did) a neighbour would always keep an eye on you till mum came home. If someone gave birth the neighbours would help wives at the birth,  Husbands went  to the pub to wet the baby's head.   

Each Saturday morning you would always see the women sweeping and washing their front door step, windows being cleaned, and they were sash windows So they had to sit on the window sill.  . Around the back  now to wash and clean the outside loo.

When someone passed away there was always a neighbour collecting for flowers to be sent from all who lived  on the street/road.

When you misbehaved the local bobby would give you a clip around your ear. and if he did not then there was always the headmaster from the school.

The CO_OP                                                                                                                                                                                      

Each week day bread and milk was delivered to your doorstep. If you wanted meat there was always plenty of butchers on St Ann's Well Road.

Kids could play out 9 30 10-00 in summer and feel safe. There were 2 parks Coppice and Scyamore.

If you wanted to learn to dance then Robin Hood Club bottom of Hungerhills was the place to go. 10-00 till 12 00 Saturday morning. cost 6d  two picture houses Never called by its full name Cavandish  It was always Cavo the other one was the Empress.  two dance halls were most of St Ann's girls spent there teen years Tuesday night teenie bopper night 1/3 to get in , 2 markets where most of our things came from.Buses every 3-4 minutes intoi the City Center of Notts then down the bridges and on to Fairarm brook. Nothing was ever too far away. 

So just ask yourself   How many of those from St Anns went on to learn a trade , become a teacher, own their own business ?

SO WAS WE POOR ????  ps my mum and dad even had a car a Standed 8  in the year around 1956/59 ?

• Like 1

There's a thing. At the same time period (probably 1957-60) my parents had an Austin 8. Had it at Woodborough Road, then it moved us to Ford Street, and then it moved us to Eastwood. Dad sold it after we had been in Eastwood a few months because he thought the area was too posh for an owd 1939 Austin 8 only to realise afterwards that there was only about us and one or two others that had a car. We were just poor folk from St Anns!  :)

You can go on tours round St Anns allotments. I did it a few years ago and it was really interesting.

Hi Mrs B yes it is interesting but a lot of the allotments have been built on.   My grandad and farther both had an alloment but both of them have now gone.  My grandad had a Damson tree in his garden you don't seem to hear or see this fruit any more. My farther's allotments had a 12ft green house which grew toms also a 6ft one full og cues, a very large shed, and at the bottom of the garden was a summer house with I might add a toilet, coor aint that posh!!! but the toilet was just a tub with a round hole in the seat but the summer house had a grape vine in the little conservatory which was on the side.  there was a fire grate in the one room there was also a celler where rose's were kept cool before he took them to rose shows. We had a rubarb plot a gooseberry  plot 4 apple trees a pear and a plum tree, black and red current busher's as well as tons of veg plots. Now they are telling us to eat 4 a day.  It would be nice if everyone liked gardening but each to there own. Oh not for getting the chrysanthemums that dad grew for shows, he would put the heads into paper bags so they would be perfect when at the show. but one night someone broke into the allotment and chopped all the heads off the chrysanthemum.  The competition was very fierce in thoses days. Dad never grew any more.