Does anyone listen to it? Some presenters are taking industrial action due to changes in schedules. It is changing to a " local " radio station. I like listening to things about Nottingham not events in Derby, Leicestershire or Stoke.

• Like 1

It's a question of whether the BBC can continue to pay for programming from individual areas. Having separate stations for every city is a nice idea, but it’s expensive; listeners may want it but aren’t particularly prepared to pay for it.

Commercial Radio gave up the idea a long time ago; many people here will remember when Radio Trent first appeared in the mid-70s and was genuinely local, but by the early 2000s most commercial stations had merged to become one big national/regional entity.

And that was before the internet, which made things even more difficult.

I rarely listen to local radio. My car radio listening is usually BBC3 or 4. I can't (yet) get any digital stuff in the car.

No opinion on Radio Nottm as I haven't heard it for years, but I do listen to Boom Radio via my music server or other 'smart devices'.  Boom is aimed at the 'Baby Boomer' demographic and is esentially a network of presenters, some very famous, some less so, 'working from home'.. which is of course very 'doable' now via the internet.

My only tiny reservation is that Boom, like many other 'digital' stations, broadcasts on a relatively low 'bitrate', such that in terms of sound quality it is more comparable to MP3, than higher resolution formats, but it is very listenable.

Digital Radio gives what I'd call 'decent' rather than spectacular sound quality, but then many people listen on less than top rate kit anyway so it matters little.

If you have never heard BBC FM output via something like a Leak Troughline/NAIM NAT 01 or other 'high end' Tuner with a stereo decoder, through a good Hi-Fi system, you haven't heard Radio at its best, but sadly it seems even the BBC is letting analogue radio sound slip these days and they'll probably switch analogue off altogether at some point.

• Like 1

That's interesting....

On 6/8/2023 at 7:29 PM, DJ360 said:

My car radio listening is usually BBC3 or 4. I can't (yet) get any digital stuff in the car.

Our car has a digital radio but there are no digital signals where we live, you have to be in the metropolitan areas to get a digital signal.

No CD player either so I put all my music on a memory stick and plug that in to one of the slots in the car.

Also the OZ vs India test is not being broadcast on the ABC (BBC) gastard commercial stations. It is Australia playing so it should be on the national broadcaster.

Unlike my long gone 06 reg Fiat, my 04 reg Civic has no USB ports and an analogue radio.

It's also far from easy to access the rear of the radio, b7t one day I'll get around to discovering if there's an auxiliary input o  the back. If there is, I can connect my phone, which has thousands of songs on it in FLAC.

The only person I listen to on Radio Nottingham is Mark Dennison, he makes me smile and plays my kind of music, but he’s leaving the station anytime soon.  I just can’t listen to any of the other presenters, they’re either very boring (Verity Cowley, talking about her children all the flippin’ time), or their voices grate on me, or they’re ‘too Nottingum’
I always have the radio on in the car and listen to Talk Radio or Talk Sport.  I’d listen to Radio 2 if Terry Wogan was still with us.

• Like 1

More or less stopped listening when Dennis MaCarthy died and only have it on for Sport. My Notts County workmate called it Radio Forest wereno1

Late 1974 while listening to Dennis McCarthy, he mentioned a listener had advertised for an American penfriend in a magazine. She got so many replies she didn't know what to do with them. She offered to pair up anyone in Nottingham with a penfriend. I wrote in and was paired up with a young mum (as was I) in Pennsylvania. We still write to each other, over 48 years later. 

• Like 1

l have more or less ignored Radio Nottm since they ended Jazz Incorporated on Thursdays and the Notts Nostalgia programme on Sundays. l am obviously not their "demographic" as I can't stand most of the music played on Radio Nottm and Radio 2 nowadays.

l keep meaning to buy a digital radio so l can listen to Boom Radio and Greatest Hits Radio but not if they have the same amount of adverts as Smooth. What especially gets on my nerves is the gabbling of terms & conditions etc at the end of most adverts. 

As mentioned by CT, Radio Trent and Gem used to be truly local and played music you could listen to continuously.

• Like 1

What fascinates me about radio these days is the number of stations dedicated to playing old records of a particular era. There seem to be dozens of them, concentrating on the 60s or 70s or 80s etc.

There's obviously an increasing number of older people in the listening world who don't like current musical trends; and that means a growing market for radio stations which only look backwards to whatever is your own 'golden age' of music.

• Like 1

I'd rather think it was better music and stands the test of time Cliff

On 6/9/2023 at 1:44 PM, DJ360 said:

Unlike my long gone 06 reg Fiat, my 04 reg Civic has no USB ports and an analogue radio.

@DJ360 as long as you have a cigarette lighter socket you can plug in one of these FM transmitters to play your music through your car stereo . 

Pair the transmitter to your phone via bluetooth and then tune in the radio and the transmitter to the same unused FM wavelength.

This is one I reviewed a while ago and it works but there are plenty of others available. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNBREAKcable-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Charging-Hands-free/dp/B0BL34Y4RP?pd_rd_w=oItg4&content-id=amzn1.sym.38f90169-67d8-49b7-8ef1-61bdff262c06&pf_rd_p=38f90169-67d8-49b7-8ef1-61bdff262c06&pf_rd_r=QM4Y73XKZ5AX126ZRWYW&pd_rd_wg=5cfWn&pd_rd_r=60af7e04-ffc6-47a9-8e2b-dc96ec0290d6&pd_rd_i=B0BL34Y4RP&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp_bia_rpt_ba_s_1_sc

• Like 1

Not listened to Radio Nottingham for years, now it's BOOM Radio, agree with DG360 about the low bit rate quality = 24 kbs in mono on DAB+, not much better than medium wave. Also radio 2 on Saturday afternoon for Pick Of The Pops & that's about it...

• Like 1

You are lucky to have such a choice. We are too far from the city to get the variety of DAB stations that are on offer and are stuck with AM radio or the community FM stations that seem to broadcast country and western music most of the time, some elderly resident waffling on and on about times past, birthdays and anniversaries of locals and adverts of local businesses that support the station.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Of all the records listeners to Dennis McCarthy won in phone-in competitions requesting "Send them to the hospital Dennis".    Did any of the records get any better?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone noticed a problem with DAB radio reception of Radio Nottingham? Curently (Saturday, 11th Nov 2023) I get almost no signal at all.

I'm not sure if I normally get my signal from the Mapperley or from the Kimberley transmitter but it must be one of those two.

Does anyone else experience this?

I had the same message this morning after trying every thing to connect I gave up. I thought it was my radio as recently I have had numerous things break and needed replacing laptop, vacuum cleaner, and dryer, its cheaper and easier to replace than repair. Just after lunch the internet went down and after nearly 2 hrs I managed to speak to a human ,I dont know what he did but he took 2 mins to have it working. It seems that anything with electric power has it in for me lately.

• 4 weeks later...

I notice the the BBC Sounds app on my Andorid phone now abbreviates Radio Nottingham as Notts in the circle icon.

I am half-sure the BBC Sounds app used to abbreviate it as Nottm, which is what I would use.  Other local stations are abbreviated as towns not counties.