• 3 weeks later...

Round at my mums house today, and perusing an old book of hit records, and to my surprise, there was another version of King of Kings, in the chart of 64, by Ezz Recko, (forgive the spelling, it could be wrong!) So, not sure which came first.........

• 4 weeks later...
Like Reggae but sorry never heard of any of these.

Liked Johnny Nash amongst others and love Red, Red wine and others by U2.

Good old Google, with spell checker

Did you mean: "Ezz Reco" "King of Kings"

I think one of the original Red Red Wine (Reggae version) was by 'Dandy', on Tighten up Volume 'X' ? (about 1970)

Good old Google, with spell checker

Did you mean: "Ezz Reco" "King of Kings"

I think one of the original Red Red Wine (Reggae version) was by 'Dandy', on Tighten up Volume 'X' ? (about 1970)

You sure it wasnt Tony Tribe? Cos i had a few of those samplers, and dont recall it being Dandy......but thats only from memory, and not Google!

After Ska, and during the Rock Steady era the major producer Coxsone, continued to dominate the music business in Jamaica.

At the time he seemed to be the only artists in the UK, who could get a really good 'Rootsy' sound. 'Raining In My Heart' being the best example. Most of this work was done at Chalk Farm Studios, with bands like Greyhound and The Cimarons. He also produced other singers, Tony Tribe's very successful 'Red Red Wine' being one example.

You are of course Right. Dandy - Reggae in your Jeggae? perhaps

Ayup Jane,

I think you mean UB40, cracking band, really captured the sound of the caribs, I always feel happier when I hear them, perhaps it's Caribean happiness.

Rog

Ayup Jane,

I think you mean UB40, cracking band, really captured the sound of the caribs, I always feel happier when I hear them, perhaps it's Caribean happiness.

Rog

After Ska, and during the Rock Steady era the major producer Coxsone, continued to dominate the music business in Jamaica.

At the time he seemed to be the only artists in the UK, who could get a really good 'Rootsy' sound. 'Raining In My Heart' being the best example. Most of this work was done at Chalk Farm Studios, with bands like Greyhound and The Cimarons. He also produced other singers, Tony Tribe's very successful 'Red Red Wine' being one example.

You are of course Right. Dandy - Reggae in your Jeggae? perhaps

Reggae reggae....in ah ya jeggae.....or words to that effect! that album was so good, pity i sold it or lost it or summat else!!

• 1 month later...

Gunns of Navarone was the Record I used to pester The DJ (Tony Rainbow) for at the Palaise. Well that and Jackie Wilsons - Higher and Higher.

Reminds me, during my last year at school i took in guns of navarone as we were allowed to do stuff like that on the last day before summer hols, and i remember the teacher, who incidentally looked like the old actor Jimmy Edwards, saying."Hmmm.......erm....yes.....very interesting" probably meaning "what a load of sh1t!"as he must have been really old and ancient, and at least 40 !!!!!

I suppose a bit like a 15 year old now asking us what we think of Atreyu or similar.

• 10 months later...

I know this is another old thread but i love reggae music, especially the old stuff from the likes of prince buster,toots and the maytals,desmond dekker. I recently went to see UB40 at the arena. They were awesome. I went with my friend ruth who has recently joined the site as thinlizzy.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

When we were at school in the 60's we used to hang out around the old tin bridge between the bottom of Wigman Road, where Chromoworks was, and Raleigh Pond. A lad named Keith Holland AKA The Music Man had a battery powered record player and we spent many happy hours with, Long Shot Kick the Bucket, Return of the Django, etc. Great times but I think the residents of Charlbury Road got a bit sick of it!!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Justin Hinds & The Dominoes, Rub up Push up.....................the first Ska record I ever heard at a mates house in Radford, his sister was married to a Jamaican guy who had some terrific records, 1964 I was 13 yrs old..................still remember the lyrics....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Shebeen

It’s a hot and humid summer in 1958 St Ann’s, Nottingham. Tempers are flaring and Teddy Boys are on the march.

Jamaican couple Pearl and George are helping Caribbean migrants to cut loose by hosting a forbidden party at their shebeen.

Pearl has dreams of opening a restaurant on the Wells Road. George, a retired boxer, has hung his dreams next to his gloves. A young interracial couple are falling in love and figuring out how to be together.

As tensions mount on a night filled with rum, calypso and dancing, and with the shebeen under threat from the police, everyone is forced to confront the uncomfortable truths their relationships are built upon.

Specially commissioned by Nottingham Playhouse, Shebeen invites you to a party you never knew existed. This world premiere by Nottingham writer, Mufaro Makubika, shines a light on the Windrush generation: a community under siege and the sacrifices they made for love.

https://www.nottinghamplayhouse.co.uk/whats-on/drama/shebeen/

• Like 1