What do folk think about the recent 'looting' taking place on the devon beach?

The way I look at it - it is flotsum or jetsum (not sure which!) and there for the taking, look at it as a tax return. About time we had summat for nowt! abouttime

its stealing full stop....

how would those people feel if it was their personal things being stolen...people who are moving had all their own things in there...dreadful.....

be differant if it was in shops in a town etc....sickning....

ok there were BMW bikes etc....stil lwasnt theres for the taking. x

...sorry Smithylass, but it is not stealing if you follow the law. There is this crazy law that says that things washed up from wrecks are yours providing you report same within 28 days to the body responsible for wrecks around the coast.

Anyway the police have blocked off all roads now,so we have missed our chance.

Also try to work out what it is going to cost the public and the enviroment to put right when all that oil and chemical comes ashore. !raise!

Branscombe Police officers have been patrolling the beach to prevent unopened containers from being broken into and have closed all roads leading into the village.

They were also handing out forms so people could report what they had taken to the Receiver of Wreck. This must be done within 28 days, otherwise they are committing an offence.

I know where you are coming from Sis, but in the eyes of the law it's not stealing & that dates back to god knows how long ago. In fact I could be mistaken but I think if someone had wanted to get on the ship & take posession including all the chattels that was also legal. Anyway the folks who entrusted all their worldly goods to the shipping line must have been insured so they will get back the money they have lost anyway & if they weren't insured stiff biccies :Fool:

I wonder why the British media get into a flat spin over a few people gathering salvage off the beach. These items were washed up on the shore off a shipwreck, which makes it Salvage.

What about the salvage companies that collect so called artefacts from shipwrecks at sea, then sell them to the highest bidder. No difference in my book.

Both sides are in it for gain, the only difference is, artefacts carry a higher price tag

I wonder why the British media get into a flat spin over a few people gathering salvage off the beach. These items were washed up on the shore off a  shipwreck, which makes it Salvage.......

Wrong....that makes it flotsam, which is subject to a raft (sic) of legislation, much of it centuries old and complex. Combine that with our present day 'mickey mouse' police force - a hard working constabulary, led by indecisive pygmies and clearly the looters had a field day/night.

Predictably, the London gutter media also had a great time - led by the Sun branding dozens of their avid readers as 'scavengers'!

Next time we see similar folk in action, in such places as West Africa or New Orleans, perhaps we'll be less self-righteous.

Cheers

Robt P.

I wonder why the British media get into a flat spin over a few people gathering salvage off the beach. These items were washed up on the shore off a  shipwreck, which makes it Salvage.......

Wrong....that makes it flotsam, which is subject to a raft (sic) of legislation, much of it centuries old and complex.

Cheers

Robt P.

Okay, I know we are not splitting the atom here…..but I still maintain it’s <Salvage >when it is washed ashore, ie static on the beach.

FLOTSAM :-

USAGE NOTE In maritime law, flotsam applies to wreckage or cargo left floating on the sea after a shipwreck. Jetsam applies to cargo or equipment thrown overboard from a ship in distress and either sunk or washed ashore. The common phrase flotsam and jetsam is now used loosely to describe any objects found floating or washed ashore.

SALVAGE :-

(DOD) 1. Property that has some value in excess of its basic material content but is in such condition that it has no reasonable prospect of use for any purpose as a unit and its repair or rehabilitation for use as a unit is clearly impractical. 2. The saving or rescuing of condemned, discarded, or abandoned property, and of materials contained therein for reuse, refabrication, or scrapping.

Okay,let's get back to splitting the atom, much easier. :rolleyes: