Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

And if ........................... put his head in the oven would you?? (Or another derivation was , jumped off a cliff)

• 4 weeks later...

If my mam was pee'd off about someone, she'd say 'I hope he walks in the Trent, till his 'at floats' or 'I wish he'd take a long walk on a short plank'

My Mamma (still going strong at 95) has a wealth of these old saying. Her Dad was from 'Ilson and her Mam from Manchester, and she's lived in Bulwool all her life so they are a bit of a crazy mix........

Geront corsie!! - get on the pavement

I've got more Kokum than that - I have more intelligence than to do that

This place looks like "Jackie Pownall's" - the house is a tip and looks like the rag and bone man's yard

I've got a pile of ironing as big as hill 60 - Never knew what that meant- what is "Hill 60"???

I'll goo to the foot of our stairs - I am surprised by that

asyermasay - As you might say

thamunna - You mustn't

thashunna - You shouldn't

this place looks like "Narra Marsh" - the house is untidy and looks like a slum area in Nottingham

wotsupwiyorfizog - Why have you got a miserable face?

If we asked me mam what was for dinner she used to say a run round the table, and if we asked where she had been she would say there and back to see how far it is.

My Mamma (still going strong at 95) has a wealth of these old saying. Her Dad was from 'Ilson and her Mam from Manchester, and she's lived in Bulwool all her life so they are a bit of a crazy mix........

Geront corsie!! - get on the pavement

I've got more Kokum than that - I have more intelligence than to do that

This place looks like "Jackie Pownall's" - the house is a tip and looks like the rag and bone man's yard

I've got a pile of ironing as big as hill 60 - Never knew what that meant- what is "Hill 60"???

I'll goo to the foot of our stairs - I am surprised by that

asyermasay - As you might say

thamunna - You mustn't

thashunna - You shouldn't

this place looks like "Narra Marsh" - the house is untidy and looks like a slum area in Nottingham

wotsupwiyorfizog - Why have you got a miserable face?

Hi BullwoolGel,

Hill 60 is a notorious place outside Ypres, Belgium on the WW1 western front. The land around Ypres is generally flat but there is one hill - Hill 60 which I understand is man made from a pre WW1 railway construction. The name comes from the fact that the hill rises above the 60 metre contour. The side that commanded Hill 60 in the war had an advantage over entrenched solders below.

going back to mine (& other peoples post) re "like a man i'm aunt to" if someone does something wrong/stupid,,,,,, any ideas on that folks ?

Baz

Hi Baz,

Your Mum is an aunt to your cousins (if you have any), your Mum is really saying "you don't take after her" when you have done something wrong/stupid.

Every time some one posts one it jogs another out of me

Getting the 39 bus in Carlton square on a Sunday , and dad saying 2 and 2 halves to Wollaton Park please!!

being called a "little get",,,, what is a get,,,, what does one get with a get ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We must have been quite well off,,,, cos when we asked what was for dinner, the reply would be "bread and pullet" ! (Never did find out what happened to the pullet !)

Some times when we asked what was for tea our mam would say three jumps at the cuboard door! any one else heard that one, it usually meant we had to wait a while.

quote name='BAZZER' date='Feb 6 2009, 04:44 PM' post='63504']

being called a "little get",,,, what is a get,,,, what does one get with a get ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We must have been quite well off,,,, cos when we asked what was for dinner, the reply would be "bread and pullet" ! (Never did find out what happened to the pullet !)