Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

If someone came back with a quick, witty remark, mam would say 'they must have been in the knife drawer' [they're so sharp]

• 2 weeks later...

What about when pigs fly up hockley.

Iwish i was a bird id fly away.

Iam under 5ft but they call me the rock viler cause i got a mouth like a parishoven. when i am out in a group they always use me to get every one to get together and listen,when they want a group photo or to tell thewhole group something.

my dad was a miner all his working life so we always had big fires when it was cold even in the bdrooms when it was really bad so never got frost inside our windows our neighbours never had a lot of coal but said they always knew when we had a fire in our bedroom as theirs was always warmer.

my dad used to give them coal for the downstairs fires until he cought there dad one night stealing it he had removed several bricks from between the coal houses and was taking them out and putting them back in after he had taken coal out till dad cought him one night and they came to blows.This might not seem much until you realize that my dad was only 4ft 8inch and he was over 6ft dad still came of better than him.The next day dad re cemented all the bricks covered them with planks and cocered this with hard board.Often wonder what the demolision men thought years later.he would have given it to him if he had asked.

theresanother one for you thick as two short planks.

Chooky flesh Goosepimples

It's like Jackie Pownalls in 'ere The room's rather untidy

Like chapel 'at pegs Prominent nipples

Shift yer carcass Could you move, please?

Mind yer back, yer belly's in danger Ditto

Mazzeewatter Weak tea

what about

ill go to the foot of our stairs

ill got our house and back agen

I was once on a vist to london and was on a bus with hubby and kids said to my eldest come ere your chatty (DIRTY) and proceeded to use baby wipe to clean his face the lady behind me asked if I came from Nottingham as she had not heard tht said since she lived here she had lived in london for over 20 years.

I was on a bus once and my toddler daughter was rattling away, a hundred to the dozen, and a lady in front turned round and smiled at me like 'doesn't she go on' and I said you'll have to excuse her, she's got verbal diarrhea, and the lady gave a sympathetic look and said 'oh sorry'. I still smile about that.

I was on a bus once and my toddler daughter was rattling away, a hundred to the dozen, and a lady in front turned round and smiled at me like 'doesn't she go on' and I said you'll have to excuse her, she's got verbal diarrhea, and the lady gave a sympathetic look and said 'oh sorry'. I still smile about that.

Dont sit there you'll get piles or ants in your pants

Dont sit there you'll get piles or ants in your pants

Oh yes and dont pick your nose your face will cave in lol

Can anyone tell me the meaning of the expression...." By Ghani" or "Bye Garni".....Remember hearing it a lot when I was a kid but still dont know what it means!!!

My dad used to say that to me when he was cross with me he usually followed it with I'll tan your hide, he never did tho lol

Can anyone tell me the meaning of the expression...." By Ghani" or "Bye Garni".....Remember hearing it a lot when I was a kid but still dont know what it means!!!

Have a look at this..................By Guyney!!! It's from Ilson............. !rotfl!

www.chatarea.com/HeanorDistrictLocalHistory.m1774945-6

Have a look at this..................By Guyney!!! It's from Ilson............. !rotfl!

www.chatarea.com/HeanorDistrictLocalHistory.m1774945-6

By Jove, you larn summat evryday dont you Paulus???.... !rotfl!

Love this thread...did you lot really used to talk like this?....without an interpreter?...I might have used the odd 'Ayup' but the rest....???

It's like Yorkshiremen being accused of talking in 'sithees' and 'tha knows'......not where I grew up.