Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Fancy remembering that one Dodie,don't think i've heard that for at least 35 yrs !bravo!

A few more my mam said.

All done up like a dog's dinner

She'd got a face like the back of a tram smash

Better than a smack round the chops with a wet kipper

It's a bit parky outside

She was as fat as a bacon pig

He's gone there and back to see how far it is

Mothers were very good at abreviating things...

"That'l Lern Ya!"

The predicament you are in is a result of your own stupidity or lack of planning.

Hopefully the outcome will education you and give you foresight to predict such

an outcome in future.

• Upvote 1
If you got caught picking your nose, she'd say 'quit unpacking your trunk'

Or - you'll pul yer brain out one day

If you had something wrong with something and she didn't think anyone would see it, she'd say 'a blind man on a galloping hoss won't notice'

If brains were dynamite you wouldn't have enough to blow yer nose

Or "You wouldn't have enough to curl yer hair"

That reminds me of 'if wit was s**t, you'd be constipated.

Also, if he fell in a barrel load of s**t, he'd come out smelling of scent.

My mother quote: 'you know what thought did? s##t it's self and thought again..!!!'

un quote.

Did anyone's grand parents refer to horses as 'bobbos' when they were a kid? what the hell was that all about eh?

• Upvote 1
My mother quote: 'you know what thought did? s##t it's self and thought again..!!!'

un quote.

Did anyone's grand parents refer to horses as 'bobbos' when they were a kid? what the hell was that all about eh?

My parents did when I was a kid, I also taught my kids Bobbo's. No idea where it came from though..

Yep, bobbo's and dudoo's were in my vocabulary too, have no idea where either came from. Also, when I went for number 2's, I was having a 'bob', or bobbies [hope nobody's eating!] I'm sure there's a ton of Nottingham words we've forgotten about.

It's really weird reading the word BOB for #2's. I always discouraged my kids from saying that as I thought it was childish!! My mum used to say dickie birds & gee gees too,bloody hell we wuz brung up bad wont we duck? LOl And another was Paw Paw for a sore or cut ha haLOL.

• Upvote 2

All those words, Caz, were in our house too. Also my mum would call your head, your juff, like shift your juff. It was like living in another country, in our house!

If she had a cold and a constantly running nose, she'd yell 'rot the snot'

If you fell over and got a scratch or bump me mam used to rub margarine in to the wound to stop the swellin' :rolleyes:

Mine used butter Frank...Mind you, it was always margerine on toast, me Dad said it wasted too much butter....

my dad used to say rammel. if I was late home from a night out, my mum would say "yes, ya bu99er, where've ya bin till this time".

There was a steep little alleyway at the top of our street which everyone called the "twitchell".

But the funniest thing I remember, was when an Asian family moved into a house on our street. I was about 5. My dad told me they were indians - I thought he meant cowboys and indians, so I asked where they kept the bows and arrows. From that day on he called them the "navajo brown" family.