Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Like summat not rite was one of my mother's favourites. My old man came from Sheffield so many of his sayings were somewhat different.

Cuthbertson died 2009

Who can also forget his great role as the Procurator Fiscal in Sutherlands law in the early 70s

He played the doctor in "Murder at Moorstones Manor" a Ripping Yarn by Michael Palin and Terry Jones.

...and, if a car lacked in power it "couldn't pull the skin off a rice puddin'".

Or, as my dad would say, "It's a rolls canardly" - it rolls down the hills but can hardly get up them!

• 2 weeks later...

If I had been given something and I still kept asking for more, mam would say, bleddy hell, do you want jam on it!

Yes Katy, remember that one well. Here's a couple more : when dark clouds were gathering my mam would say "It looks a bit black over Bill's mother's". Not to be confused with her expression when I came in from playing, a little dishevelled and thoroughly mucky : "Yer as black as old Nick's nuttin' bag."

I moan at our youngest girl because she says stuff that is nonsense, and she seems to have a knack of using a single word to make the bottle come off the pop, when she gets told off for anything or she's in a gripey mood she'll answer you with 'and' with a questioning tone...it drives me mad, but I remember when I was a kid and mam and dad had a row, they would be saying 'such as' again with a questioning tone and each time one of them would have a go at the other and cite a problem the other would say 'such as' and it drove me crackers then too...my brother was not one of the worlds most practical sons and my dad used to tell him 'if you had half a brain you'd be dangerous' when we moaned at bedtime my dad always said 'early to bed early to rise' 'nar gerrup them apples and pears...'

Now that reminds me of an old colleague's expression. He was chargehand patternmaker at Derby Loco works, and he had a mighty disdain for the old-style shop foreman, who went everywhere (possibly including to bed) wearing his trilby hat as a mark of his authority. ("E's no pattern-maker - 'e's a wagon-basher from Shildon.") Well, this was his terminology : "If brains were gunpowder, 'e wouldn't 'ave enough to blow 'is 'at off."

Having left Nottingham a number of years ago it's fantastic to hear all those familiar words and terms again. Ive just tried them all on my daughter she looked at me as if I had just arrived from the planet ZOG she even asked me what colour the sky was on the planet. She has clearly been brought up all wrong. I blame her Mother

I had to laugh at your comments, Deeps. I'd forgotten half of the sayings on the Forum but it's a laugh to hear them again. Living in a cold house on Grainger Street in the winter one of the things my Dad used to say to us kids when we went to bed was...."Get them socks off in bed". I used to wear two pairs of socks and if he came up to check I'd take one pair off under the bedclothes, with him watching, and chuck them onto the floor. I always got away with it but I could never understand why he wanted us to take them off. My sister suggested it may be because of the smell....lol.

Unless I missed it on one of the previous 28 pages, what about 'Using Shank's pony' when we thought we would catch a bus or other ride but walked instead??

'oss cock and lettuce, sheeps cock & onions, not an appetizing thought!! got that from my ex in-laws, from Bestwood village.................

If i complained about the cold or wore a coat in warm weather they would say. You're NESH. Is that Nottinghamian or Yorkshire?

Not something my parents said but wife has recorded all the "Minder" shows on freesat and been watching them (sad I know but what with all this rain etc) and becoming quite an expert of cockney slang! my favorite to date has to be a "paraffin", took me awhile to work out what it meant,lol

I remember 'Paraffin Lam' it was a tramp, or when 'ya look like a dogs dinner' your mother would say 'ya not goin art lookin like a paraffin lamp'