Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

No room for the mobile shops now the Tesco brigade stay open till eleven in the local precinct.And of course in country areas the cost of fuel has made it unprofitable.

Notice one small thing that seems to buck that trend slightly is the advent of a couple of vans run by pubs that sell fish and chips round the local villages.

Went to our local chip van once. Half portions - double prices. Never went again, neither did many others. He went out of business very quickly.

yes she was jackson as were a lot of the old community in our part of netherfield in them days most of them did not have much but would always be there to help and support each other in times of need , our bonfire nights were community events different people all made and gave or sold large amounts of mushy peas , hot dogs,

jacket potatoes , ect for most of them had very little money and could not afford to give it away but sold it at cost price but took the time and trouble to make large amouts of the things they made my mum always made cakes pies and cornish pasties it woud take her 2or 3 days to make them all

During the 1950s and early 60s Bonfire night was always a great festival where I lived. The estate would have a communal bonfire and families would bring their fireworks to the party. We kids would spend weeks gathering stuff to burn and the build up was like that of Xmas. The odd banger would be saved "Until Xmas" but was always let off within a day or two of Bonfire night - the temptation being too great to resist.

Before the Nell Gwynne pub was built it was at the bottom of Gladehill Road. Afterwards and until about 1962 it was at the top of the road until the Bestwood park estate was completed, putting the land under new housing.

Every year we used to build a bonfire on some waste land on Moreland St.off Meadow Lane. We used to make it with a den in the bottom of the bonfire so that you could crawl into the fairly big space. You could get about six kids in it and we used to go in and chat and sing songs. We were also guarding it from the Sneinton gang who sometimes tried to pinch stuff from our bonfire. If ever they came we would run to tell our older mates who would be playing football and they would sort them out. I can’t remember how old I was then but I must have been about eight. About two hundred yards away from the bonfire was a petrol storage depot on Freeth St. and if the bonfire was too big they used to call the Fire Brigade to put it out. It was always exciting to see the fire engines and police cars roll up and it was all part of the fun of bonfire night. There was always a big crowd to see the lighting of the bonfire and they were great times. Can you imagine the authorities allowing a bonfire to be lit so close to a petrol depot in 2011, the age of Health and Safety madness. What’s the problem with a few rockets landing on the petrol depot…lol. I was always amazed that there was never an incident at the depot.

WE HAD STREET BONFIRES FOR A FEW YEARS UNTILL WE KEPT BURNING THE TELEPHONE WIRES DOWN AS MORE PEOPLE STARTED TO GET PHONES IN THERE HOUSES AFTER THAT OUR PARTY WAS ALWAYS IN OUR AND THE NEIGHBORS BACK YARDS OF COURSE THEY WERE NOT SO BIG BUT THEY LASTED FOR DAYS AS EVERY ONE WOULD BRING OUT THERE RUBBISH TO BE BURNED GODFREY ST HAD THERES ON THE LAND NEXT TO THE ALLOTMENTS THE THREE TERRACES EACH HAD THERE OWN AS THEY ALL HAD LARGE GARDENSTHE AT THE BACK SOME NOT SO WELL KEPT AS OTHERS SO THERE PARTIES WERE HELD ON THEIR GARDENS WE WOULD GO FROM ONE TO THE OTHER STARTING L.N.W TERRACE THEN UP TO LOCOMOTIVE THEN TRAFFIC AND THEN GODFREY ST PARTY BEFORE GOING BACK TO OUR OWN WATCHING ALL THE DIFFERENT FIREWORKS AT EVERY ONE BEING GIVEN OR BUYING IF WE HAD GOT THE MONEY AS WE WENT. THE KIDS FROM ARTHUR ST AND DENNIS ST HELD THEIRS ON JACKIE BELLS FIELD AND WE COULD ALSO WATCH THERE FIREWORKS TOO.

We had bonfires on the road on hawthorne street in the meadows,days later when the fire was out and cleared you could see that the tarmac had melted. No pc them days thank christ.

• 4 months later...

If I'd been bad my Mam would say, "keep that up my lad and you'll end up in Lowdham"

If I'd been really bad It was, "I'll swing for you, you little sod"

If i asked 'why' when i was younger, when i was being told off or something.. My mum used to reply ' Because whys got a tail and dont be rude!!' I never understood that, i still dont to this day!

Or if i was throwing a strop, shed usually shout 'if you dont stop crying, ill give you something to cry about!' she never did though... but it was enough to make me stop having my tantrum.

I grew up being told if i ever came home pregnant, she'd break my legs too. When i got pregnant at the age of 20, with my long term partner who im still with, she didnt break my legs, she actually gave me a huge hug!

Think the 'why's got a tail' might be referring to the tail of the letter 'y' at the end of the word.

haha i gathered that much stu, but i never got the whole 'and dont be rude' so why does y having a tail mean i shouldnt be rude! Iv never heard anyone else say it either.