Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Can anyone remember "Yer moant do that"

meaning Don't do that, or meaning if you do that you will regret it?

Oh yes! I remember that but I don`t come from dahn sarf I come from the Medders.

"I trust you as far as I can throw you".

I always heard this is the negative variation : "I wouldn't trust 'im as far as I could throw 'im."

This also reminds me of a classic which a friend of mine recited : "She was running you down something shocking, and I was standing up for you. She said you weren't fit to live with pigs - and I said, O yes you were."

I was on my morning walk today with a friend and telling what a terrible night's sleep I had, I said I'd feel like a hanged hare all day. I'd forgotten this phrase, it just popped into my head, my mam said this when she was feeling rough. [not sure my friend knew what I was talking about, no hares here, just jackrabbits].

• Upvote 1

I dont know about parents but as I was making myself a cup of (strong) coffee it reminded me of an old CB Radio phrase.

"Are you coming round for a cup of sludge"

10 4 good buddy.

A lad named Stan was passing once (Lived over the top of Parkdale road / Bakersfield area, can't remember his handle) and I invited him in. My Mum and Dad went balistic at me , mind you it was about two in the morning !!

I just whacked my knuckles while sweeping the floor, and said I'd got a paw-paw. I haven't used that saying since I was a kid. Funny how things jump into your mind!

"Who was at the door, mam?" "Ickie with his eye cut!" (In other words, mind yer own business).

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody a bit "clever" with their nose in the air would be described as "having a shirt made owt of 'is Fathers britches ar*e". Easily pictured!

One mentioned ear;ly on in this thread - " Yer daft miducks, yer foller balloons" was continued with "Yer wear yer Fathers pantaloons".

Seems a patern here regarding the state of my Grandfathers trousers?

• Upvote 1