Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Strange lot our parents were Katy... smile2

And what about "shurrup now! or I'll purra flea in yer ear"!

• Upvote 1
How about 'ooo, it were luvly, Mrs 'oskins'

[who the heck was she?]

That was a 'catchphrase' of comedian Norman Evans.

He was popular on the radio between the wars, through to his death in the 60's.

Very much the Les Dawson of his day...best remembered for his show 'Over the

Garden Wall'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles...299002352.shtml

Cheers

Robt P.

What about "nesh"?

As in:

"I don't want to go outside, it's too cowd"

"Gerrout - arrya nesh or summat?"

Yeah we had lots of rammel in the bogey ole too Katy. Had to keep it inside because we were too nesh to goo owt in the backyard. My mum always used to say she cud eat a hoss with it's saddle on, mind I never saw her do it ;)

It were mainly Don't do this and don't do that, oh and if things got really too bad me mam would tell me "If you don't start behaving I'll have you put in Hartley road childrens home" (Bl@@dy hell I must have been a pain)

Rog

It were mainly Don't do this and don't do that, oh and if things got really too bad me mam would tell me "If you don't start behaving I'll have you put in Hartley road childrens home" (Bl@@dy hell I must have been a pain)

Rog

This is an interesting one.

I lived on the corner of Hartley Road and Norton Street, and remember the waste land there. I was told it used to be a childrens home. Was it are was this just something mothers used to frighten you with.

In the mid 60's the block of flats was built on this land.

Ayup Mick,

Didn't quite know where the childrens home was, I think it might have been connected to the church at the top of Hartley road although not physically connected. When we used to go to my grannies in Bulwell on the trolly bus I always shut my eyes when we got any where near Hartley road, the thought of even seeing the place frightened me. Funny how things bother you when you're a kid.

Rog

If you told my mam that something was going to happen, and she didn't believe it, she'd say 'I've heard ducks fa*t before'

What a weird saying!

My mum used to say "wash your donnies" (hands) where did that come from eh?

Just remembered seeing the one about the kids home, my auntie used to say if i didnt behave they'd put me in the orphanage!

My mum used to say "wash your donnies" (hands) where did that come from eh?

Just remembered seeing the one about the kids home, my auntie used to say if i didnt behave they'd put me in the orphanage!

apparently it's brummie speak..!??!

found this: www.virtualbrum.co.uk/slang

Walking in the cold yesterday morning, my friend asked if my head wasn't cold and I said, nope, where there's no sense, there's no feeling.

My mam used to say that.

• Upvote 1

You don't hear "daft" very often nowadays. When I was young it was very common.

For instance, if I were to call someone a "Daft bu99er" elsewhere they would probably sue for defamation. Here they are words of endearment - our Mams used to use them, more often than not with a smile on their faces and a shake of the head. And a favourite expression of my Gran was "Daft as a brush". I never did find out how daft a brush was to be able to make a comparison.

Hugs Alison

• Upvote 1

Ayup Mick,

Read somewhere recently that there used to be a workhouse in the Hartley road area, could this be someway connected to kid's home/orphanage?

Rog