Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

I always remember my mates mum when he'd been cheeky she would say

"you'll be laughing on the others side of her face in a minit".

"if ya talk to me like that agen I'm gonna knock ya inta middle of next week"

Or when you asked my mum what's for tea she would say " a bit of this and that"

Its a bit black ower bills mothers (meaning it looks like rain)

RGR and fch782c, check out our fellow member Stu's blog site, THE TEARS OF A CLOWN

He has a section with quite a number of Nottinghamese words and phrases.

The rest of the site is well worth looking through - great content.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Trevor S will check that out,Our grandkids bring there school friends home to hear my wife talk Nottm slang.

My mum and dad moved to Vancouver Island 25 years ago (cedarboy on here) and when he and mum visit notts they havnt lost the Nottingham accent, my grandchildren were fascinated by their Nottingham stories when they both visited notts in January this yea. I'm hoping dad will be posting some of his memories on here soon

welcome barbara from another barbara or babs as im ussually known as these days although has a child it was always barbaraand as daft as it may sound even i sometimes miss spell it some other people never can get there heads round it so hence babs. and when i left school it sounded a bit more trendy.

we used to say who let polly out her cage when someone let off silent but deadly trumps out without saying sorry or excuse me.

If something was filthy / dirty my mum would use the word "grootled" .

Not sure of the spelling and can't see it on google . My mum was Carlton born but grandma came from near Skeggy , so it could be a Lincs word ?

Hi Davidw, I have asked the guy's at work about this word "grootled" and they have not heard of it in darkest Lincolnshire, mind they seem to struggle with plain English anyway but most of them have mastered gibberish

Rog

It amused me that when we went from Bulwell to central Nottingham we went down Nottingham, My uncle who lived in Mansfield went up Notts.

I also remember the expression - u gret wessuck - said with meaning when someone did something stupid.

Hi Davidw, I have asked the guy's at work about this word "grootled" and they have not heard of it in darkest Lincolnshire, mind they seem to struggle with plain English anyway but most of them have mastered gibberish

Rog

Hope you're not accusing Nottinghamese of being plain English ! But yes, Lincolnshire has some odd pronunciations : Aslackby = Azelbee, Threekingham = Threckingham, Folkingham = Fockingham, Osbournby = Ozzonby, Quadring Eaudyke = Kwaydring Eddick, Cowbit = Cubbit to mention a few.

I've just been reading through this thread an' it's bin tekkin me back.

Someone mentioned children using the word 'puddywinks' meaning something easy or simple. In my day it was puddywinkles, or sometimes easy puddys, or just puddys for short.

I've come across those lists of Nottinghamspeak expressions before. How about:

mekkit guh bakkards - put the car into reverse

snote tuh duh wi me - it isn't my fault

knee-ow - no

wotcher on about? - what do you mean?

sup wi yo? - what's the matter?

gerraway wi yuh - I don't believe you

gerraht! - I don't believe you!

I sometimes like to confuse people here in the valleys by talking about safto, or asking ayamashed?

Rog

"Grootled" must be Carlton-ese then !

I regularly use "safto" and "ayamashed" - or "ayamashin" here in west Michigan. I don't seem to get much response with any of them?

A favorite of mine is "gizzacroggie" - also not understood this side of the pond!

david never heared the word grootled always used chatty meaning mucky or dirty

Could be a mangled form of the word "grotty" or "grot", meaning filthy, rubbish or dirty.

Applied to child and adult alike down here who are messy or dirty in thoughts, actions or appearance eg You're a grot or, you have a grotty mind.

The word grot is believed to be a derivative of 'grotesque'.

No idea where grootled came from and yet to me, its a good descriptive word for something thats caked in mud or grime . As in "its all grootled up" .

Must be because I "grew" up with her saying it. I've tried different spellings , grute seems to mean to humour someone and groot in Dutch I think means great , so no use there

If I did something stupid (that happened a lot) Mam would call me a daft turnip, e.g. "you don't do it like that you daft turnip." If anyone was rushing around she called them a scopodittle, e.g. "she's running round like a scopodittle, I wish she'd calm down." Mam was born in Sheffield & moved to Symomds Yat when she was a teenager, she moved to Nottingham when she was in her 20's, No one I've asked has heard of a scopodittle.