Things our parents used to say

You're not sorry, you're just sorry you were caught.

When I say 8 o' clock, I mean 8 o'clock....... not half past ten!!!!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Just reminded me today , as we went to say goodbye to a girl who we worked with , who's moving back to Leicester , after living here for over 30 years .

When I would look at my watch and say something like , "Crikey its 4 o'clock ! "

She would always reply "mmm 4 o'clock and no po's emptied ! "

How many times were you told 'pick your feet up'

Countless thousands of times!

That one dates back to the old Navy days of sailing ships, when, (if a sailor had had a bit too much of his daily grog allowance for example), he was unable to tie up the ropes (Navy term = Sheets) and they were left in the wind to blow about, he got flogged for being drunk on duty.

Surely it was two 'short' planks ?

And no I wasn't 'cause I was always a smart arse !

I seem to remember "Daft as brush," originating with a comedian by the name of Ken Platt. Used to hear him on Workers Playtime when I came home from school for lunch. Still use the expression. Usually to my dog, and he doesn't care.

To indicate VERY thick, me and me mates used to say: As thick as two short planks and a one thou feeler gauge. Later abbreviated to "Two shorts and a one thou".

My mother-in-law used to call her nose, her oliver, as in, my oliver's running, or I need to wipe my oliver. I have no idea where she got this from.

"Cods Wallop" ie relating to something that is rubbish was actually an American saying, coming from the 'Pioneering era" when all the shysters werre going round selling these bottles of 'cure alls', one such being made by a man named Cod and named "Wallop"

No, you're wrong!

This saying came into everyday use in the late 17th Century. Wrestling was becoming popular on TV and the Masked Infidel was wiping the canvas with all and sundry.

The producers of the show, sensing loss of ratings to the Guillotine and public hangings, found an up and coming wrestler who they named King Dick who had a speciality whereby he belted the nether regions of his opponents with a right uppercut, more commonly known as a wallop in the cods.

Come the title match, King Dick floored the Masked Infidel with his speciality punch.

End result: the Masked Infidel retired from trying to beat the world and sang soprano for the rest of his life.

King Dick became Champion of England and his speciality punch was known from that moment on as pure Codswallop.

Honest!.... englandflag

Quote<Codswallop - Possible origins: Anglo-Saxon

The first etymology claims that the word derives from cods, an Anglo-Saxon term for testicles, combined with another word of Anglo-Saxon origin, wallop, meaning to scold or chastise (note that this wallop is not the same as the word wallop, meaning "hit"). It could be observed that if cod is the same as "testicles" and wallop is the same as "hit," codswallop could be very similar to the American colloquial ball-busting, which means "to make fun of" or "take the piss" in British colloquial.

Critics have argued that it is the "punch" meaning of the term wallop that applies, not the older "scold" variant
.>Unquote

Courtesy Yahoo Answers.

smile2

Reference to cookery: "When it's brown, it's done; when it's black, it's buggered."