Things our parents used to say

How about this for pure Nottingham - Meadows.

I've had more bloody ........ than you've had 'ot dinners.

Hugs Alison

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Ayup all,

If you got a cut or a scratch me dad used to say "I've ad bigger cut's shaving".

Toughened you up though

Rog

They stood out like chapel 'at pegs.

Nah - Scammel wheel nuts!

• 2 weeks later...

Ayup all,

Me dad used to call me Buggerlugs, did you get called that or was it just me dad?

Rog

• Upvote 1

We had buggerlugs in our family too, Rog. Also, seeing the poster called coughdrop, my mam described folks as a coughdrop if they were funny [as in ha ha]

My daughter and her boyfriend came around for dinner a few nights back. I had made an apple pie for afters, which I served with a slab of nice crumbly Cheshire cheese.

My daughter gave me a very funny look, like she's lost her marbles. I responded by quoting: "Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze".

I have quoted that since the year dot, but not sure whether it's from Nottingham or not. Thoughts?

Alison

If something was supposed to happen, and it hadn't, I'd ask when it would, and mam would say 'when Nelson gets his eye back'

• 2 weeks later...

Ayup all,

Me granny used to tell me to eat all me bread crusts because they'll make my hair curl, Well if you can hear me granny I did eat them and most of me hair has FELL OUT

Rog

• Upvote 1

I was back in the UK over last weekend (a quick visit) and my sister reminded me of "flittin". Or, even better, doing a "moonlight flit", often shortened to just "doin a moonlight"!

Good stuff - and a great pint of Hansons mild in "The Bell"!

• Upvote 1

I remember doing a moonlight as a lad.

I carried a wooden dining chair from Forest Road to Norton Street.

I also remembered me mam having a 'slate' at the Offy, which we paid before we left. (of course).

Certainly this thread is the one that I am enjoying perhaps more than any other.

Many brief postings feature a word/phrase that I had long forgotten.

Kath's last offering being typical.

An instant memory is triggered.....often with a hint of sadness too!

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

Glad you're enjoying it Rob, so am I. Brings back many memories from childhood.

Thought of one yesterday. If someone was being comical, you'd say 'you should be on the stage - scrubbing it'

• 2 weeks later...

Oh go on then my turn . How about if summat were easy it were puddy winks

and ya used t play kirby in t road and yo ask em and they'll allus say it were them wor invented it.

pieinface

Just remembered this saying from my mum,it came to mind the other day when I was exasperated! Christ almighty chops all greasy..............any idea what the hell that means??

An allyway between 2 houses was a snicket and a path through the local waste ground was a jitty although I also seem to remember a local dyke ( not the female but the stream ) being referred to as the jitty!! http://www.websmileys.com/s.gif' />

Rob, mine would say, 'it's not dead yet'

Same difference. Looking at what you write and I write about our mothers, I think Amesbury Circus had it's own language!

Kath,

Quite sure, as you suggest, there were many very local variations.

Ian's summary of snickets & jitties is familiar, but slightly at variance with Amesburyese.

A cut through between houses down Broxtowe Lane was always a jinnel.

Jitty being the dominate name on our side of Bells Lane!

Bulwell & Hucknall folk invariably used jinnel.....

Both 'jinnel' and 'jitty' appear in several Lawrence short stories...

In Bingham, where there are very many alleyways and tracks, its always jitty!

Another local term for a path would be a 'pad', especially in colliery areas.

Cheers

Robt P

• 3 weeks later...

Ayup all,

Me Granny always called peas in their shells Swod peas, anyone heard of them? she came from Bulwell

Rog

Not me either but we did have a Matron Aunt who came to visit from Australia(rather religious type) who, when asked to help shell some peas that my father grew ,took great amusement in announcing, if she dropped one, (a pea I mean )( God I can see where this is going ) That she had peed on the floor LOL bless her

;)