Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Just read something my mum had written ....

..."or he might be given the bulls rush"

I think she probably meant the "bums rush" meaning to be ejected or thrown out ?

I think it was "cut off your nose to spite your face"? I know a few folks that could apply to!

Still looking through a bag of my mums stuff and happened on a letter she was writing , There are lots of letters to various people that she either duplicated or didn't send .

In one , she says how she went to the local shop and asked for some Ryvita and the shopkeeper said he didn't have any .

She then walked round the shop and saw some on the shelf and said to the chap "Why you've got 3 packets of Ryvita on the shelf here ".

Oh , He said "they're past their sell-by date"

She replies "that dunt matter , they're for my husband .......and he's way past his sell-by date "

...milkman!

That reminds me , I never understand the saying :

"He's spending money , like a man wi' no arms"

I'd hazard a guess at it implying some one was a tight arse a tight git somewhat frugal

Its the opposite . The way I have heard it , means spending a lot of money , even recklessly , which is why it doesn't make sense !

Another one that doesn't make sense and I used to hear a lot when I had a shop was "its cheap at half the price" when "cheap at twice the price" would make more sense .

That reminds me , I never understand the saying : "He's spending money , like a man wi' no arms"

I always thought it was someone who was reckless and stupid with money, not thinking about how they spent it. Because a person with no arms wouldn't be able to pick up, count, or handle money, so they'd be all over the place with it and not have much control over what was happening.

But they'd be harmless.

Hope I don't get sarcastic comments because I haven't read through the previous 994 comments :-) but how about 'have you got doll's arms?' Suggesting that a person is hopeless and not capable of doing something.

If you were asked something and you replied with "Eh" parents would say "Hay, horses eat it cows chew it"

Rog

And it makes bulls s41t was always added in our house, although my Mum always stopped short of saying s41t

If you were asked something and you replied with "Eh" parents would say "Hay, horses eat it cows chew it"

Rog

"Eh to me, what to the Queen" No idea why!