Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

"Because I said so"

"When you move out you can do what you want, until then you follow our rules"

"It can't be done" - my reply - just watch me.

"Keep it up and you're gonna catch it"

"Don't make me stop this car"

"We don't always like you, but we always love you"

"Do it - or else" - or else what I'd say.

"Turn the music down"

"Go to sleep"

I've decided it needs to be on every new page in this thread , at least once !!......................... slywink

I actually heard it on The Breakfast Show on Radio 2 yesterday morning, it was some lass from Sheffield and when Chris Evans asked where it came from (Her words not mine) "It's a local expression".

So those cheeky ' Tykes' think they can nick our phrases eh?

Then again we could have pinched it from them in the first place. Or could we, and if not , why not? discuss, in 200 words or less...............

Well actually, the very first time I heard that quote I was in Surrey at my future in- laws. Don't ever remember someone saying it when I was growing up in Nottingham.

• Upvote 1

First them Yorkies tried to nick Robin Hood of us now they lay claim to Bill's mam, what next Emmerdale??????

Rog

Maybe as a derivation of Big Goat (Nanny). The worst swear you can call anyone in Spanish is cabrón which equates to 'big goat'

It was "She's the cat's meow" in our house if the "she" in question was doing something well - the "cat's mother" if she was showing pride!

Having left Nottingham in 1967 I had forgotten some of the lingo. I forgot that we used to say aye up. Does anyone know what that means? My mum was a bit of a snob and used to refer to some of our neighbours as " common as muck". After living in Australia for 40 odd years my dad still used to refer to women as " me duck".

Definitely not a frog then.................................but wait!! Have mouths got legs?......................I don't fink so!!