Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

"Wotcher cock" sounds like Cockney slang but according to this site it comes from before that , as far back as the 13th Century and is an abbreviation for the greeting "What Cheer " or "How goes it ? " (mate) .

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/wotcher.html

Two more unusual ones .

"Woe betide" you and why the " woe-begone" face .

I wish it were a bit black owwer Bills movvers right now, I'm bleddy roastin.

If we used the answer "I Thought" The reply from MaM or Dad would be.."You Know What Thought did?" I never did know,Well, I just looked it up and there are many answers eg....Followed a muck cart and thought it was a wedding, but the answer that sounds probable is....Never to say "I thought"

But go and make sure :huh: :unsure:

Think Bill's Mother has moved to Gamston/Radcliffe on Trent area! the most spectacular and not afraid to say frightening lightening I've ever seen, didn't last that long but as well as the usual flashes from cloud to cloud wide long lasting streaks/bursts of energy vertically to earth must have hit something? scary!

Just sitting listening to the Thunder and this popped into my mind.

Whenever we heard Thunder,Mam or Dad would say........Sounds like the coal mans here. I still say it now.

This one is from Grandma.

I remember, when i was young,spending a lot of time at Grandma's and one of the things she used to say occasionally was some thing like this,

AAAH, OLD AGE,BUT NOT POVERTY

Has any one else heard it or was it one of her own?.

Its one I use sometimes Carni , when someone asks "how are you ?" Answer : " Fine.....apart from old age and poverty"

"A toddy bit"

Waking my wife up this morning with her cuppa , I asked , do you want a biscuit ?

"Just a toddy bit" she replied .

She must have been half asleep as I don't remember her ever saying that before but it does seem to hark back to childhood or was it "tiddy bit" ?

'On yer tod' meaning on your own. I'm not looking at 55 pages of posts to see if it's already been on here...lol :)

Last page ! (post #1074)