Things our parents used to say

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Fost time i'vevererdthattun................Bill's mothers.................black over..................so funneh............

re Bill's mothers etc, first time I heard that was 50 years ago when I went to jigglebells camping as could not bear to be apart from 16 year old girl friend for a week, her having gone there along with younger brother in sidecar of Royal Enfield combination to stay in a caravan for a week with her mum and dad, was the latter who uttered such whenever the weather looked bad (every day that week) he also had another much repeated saying which he applied to both males and females, I used to get it for cycling to ingoldmells, "Yer need yer t**'s felt", !!!, was said with much gusto! (not a nice man)

Not what my parents used to say, but my grandmother - if an item of clothing was worn out with holes in it was 'more holy than righteous'.

I've caught up with this thread rather late, so I may be repeating stuff that's already been posted.

The things our parents said frequently didn't make any sense and it was only the tone of their voice that told you the intention.

I vividly remember:

'I'll make you laugh on the other side of your face' (if you didn't have the appropriate look whilst being chastised).

'Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry for'

'Blood and sand !!' (obviously some kind of exclamation - never worked out the meaning)

Somebody mentioned 'Sh1t with sugar on'.

My mum used to say that a lot - usually in answer to What's for tea?

I caught myself using it recently to describe how the new Cadbury's Dairy Milk tasted.

Billy Connolly did a really good piece on this subject once in a stand-up on TV.

Saying that he never understood some of the stuff his Dad said to him.

Like - Dad can I go the pictures? Answer - 'Pictures is it? I'll give you pictures !

Most confusing!

re blood and sand, me neither, but had a german ww2 medal with words "blut und boden" on it, nothing else, translated it's "blood and soil", still none the wiser! lol, another of Billy Connollys was his mam saying "I'll lift my hand off your face" !

• Upvote 1

Must admit to loving an American expression I heard on some 'cop show' recently , and one I've pinched , "I'm going to slap the taste right outta your mouth"

Youre a boggar up the back and youre ableeding swine and ill tan toodle ya and any more on it and ill tell ta dadand less of the back chat and youre a bleddy nuisance and dont be so bombasticand keep awayfrom

"Pull the other one, it's got bells on it."

Often used in reply to some statement by one of us kids that may have had an element of fiction about it. :)

If we were telling fibs Mum would make us say "Black pudding, black pudding" 10 times very fast with out laughing, if we started to smirk (Every time without fail) she knew we were telling porkies!

if me mam was feeling a bit fed up she would always say oh i wish i was a burdid fly away . when asked were to she said i dont know dont care as long as its aways from here and al this lot.

another one when wearing cloths with holes in i see your wearing your sunday cloths again

#1216 Beesteak,

Mam had a similar one for us......Look into my eyes, and say

Rice Pudding

Sago Pudding

And all the other bl..dy Puddings. Without Laughing. Not much chance of saying the naughty word without laughing when your a kid.

They knew how to get us dint they. :)

We never got that far really, no chance when Mams face is about three inches away.