Things our parents used to say

Not sure whether my parents used this or just us kids around the Medders. Also not sure whether it should be mentioned in polite company, but we always referred to a comb as a "Bug-rake". Says a lot done it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Yep, That's what we called a Comb as well alisoncc, only us kids, not our parents though. I do remember the real bug rakes though, nits were always around, very hard to control when i was infant school age. It seemed as soon as they cleared up, they would do the rounds again. :unsure: :Shock:

I do remember the real bug rakes though, nits were always around, very hard to control when I was infant school age. . :unsure: :Shock:

I remember my Mum doing my sisters hair, and everytime she found a nit she would crack it between two of her fingernails. Put it on top of one and press down with another. You could actually hear them go.

Who remembers this? You are out with your friends and you look at a kid you don't know, and they say, wot yo looking at? And you'd reply, dunno, labels dropped off.

Not so much what our parents said, as our grandparents generation. Someone would ask someone 'how are you doing?' and the reply inevitably would be, mustn't grumble. Do folks still say this, or did it die out with our grandparents?

The last person i heard say that was my Grandma who died in 1996 and she used to add on the end with,

Mustn't grumble, Old age but not poverty! ( i think i might have said this before, if so, I apologise)

• 2 weeks later...

Just happened on this from the Nottingham Guardian from 1895 . This is part of a series giving some Notts dialect words.

Some are familiar but many have got lost over the last 120 years . The first part of the list by Horace Walker seems to be more North Notts words . You will see a reply from a "J.P.K" adding some words from South Notts .

Favourite has to be a Banky Feather Poke for a wren and Notts folk used Axe for ask years ago .

11122775745_025bc805d0.jpg

11122775855_d9ae6bf8c8.jpg

11122804996_ee734cfc33.jpg

11122949343_a658ca0e07.jpg

11122803706_87d8d5e47b.jpg

11122840784_9d357109b6.jpg

11122776245_6c8cdba8ec.jpg

11122949213_0df78b8e7c.jpg

11122802996_861a676236.jpg

11122947493_e94a538291.jpg

Interesting that those clippings mention Boswell as slang for gypsy. I found one of my ancestors was a Boswell (or Bosville) who lived around Newark/South Collingham, and was by all accounts a gypsy.

Might also explain why i enjoy caravanning so much. :)

• Upvote 2

Rob , you might be royalty then !

There was a Boswell who was called King Of the Gypsies .He died at Bestwood Park in 1835 and buried at Eastwood church

Just chatting to my niece on the phone, and she commented that she had to go food shopping. I replied "going for your rations", and she replied my Mum always used to say she was going for the rations, right up to the late 1980's when she passed away. People over there still go for their rations?

#1265 -Sitting on the kerb or a stone step, I would get told that " Yow'll gerra cowd in yer kidneys."

And if you sat on the heater or radiator - "You'll get piles sitting on there!"

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by Pixie, from the "quick foods" thread:

"Stop faffing about!"

It was one of my mums common sayings!

Yes, faffing about was also one of my mum's favourites. It continues in our household to the present day. My daughter refers to any complicated arrangement or devious journey, conceived by me to resolve a minor problem while saving a few bob as a "Ford Faff".

Last night some thing my Dad always used to say just popped in to my head out of the blue for no reason, so i just Googled it.

San Fairy Ann

Does it ring any bells to any one else? If i have read it right,it seems to mean.....It Doesn't really matter.

I am not aware of hearing anyone else say this, and wondered i it was a saying from his Navy Days.

You are right Carni and I think my dad used to say that too . Its a saying the troups brought back from France after WW1.

The French is Sans faire rien which according to this isn't grammatically correct but as you say translates as It doesn't matter .

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-BLACK-COUNTRY/2006-01/1137425620