Things our parents used to say

My dad was in north Africa during the war and often used phrases he picked up out there; so that might be your answer. It may be, as suggested by DAVIDW, something along the lines of WWI's bastardisation of Ploegsteert by the British Tommies; resulting in the common term "Plug Street" wood and other similar Anglicisations.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

I just Googled' another one we all say, many of us not knowing its origins, (Me included)

Sweet Fanny Adams...........meaning Nothing

This is a very sad story, about the murder of an eight yr old girl. The saying comes from this sad tale, and is often said as Sweet F..k All.

But you must understand...Never by me :blush: :rolleyes: :)

It is a story worth googleing.

• Upvote 1

Did anyone else have an "Outhouse"? We lived in a 1950s built council house with a room accessed by a side door. This room was within the house but not accessible from the inside until my dad put an internal door through. He always called the room "The outhouse".

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the origin of this one. I said it today and I must have got it from my parents as Chris say's he has never heard anyone here In W-ton say it.

Referring to something that is dirty, as being Ditched

My parents, especially my mother who never had a chance at school, always insisted on learning being the difference between having lots of money and not having much. One thing I did learn was the beauty of the english language. Here is a very good example of the use of the language.

http://www.wimp.com/powerwords/

• Upvote 4

If the house looked like a tip, my Mother always used to say something along the lines of 'Look at it in 'ere, its just like Jacky Pownalls'

Something made to a poor standard was often described as "shoddy"

Just been reading some old news reports about the Pownalls .

In one report John Pownall was described as a rag and bone man and there is an article of a court case where he had contracted to supply a dealer in Yorkshire with a certain amount of second hand wool that was to be used in shoddy . He didn't supply the agreed amount and so got sued .

Never knew shoddy was a real article . Its a mixture of old wool, shredded and added to new wool making a cheaper material .

• 3 weeks later...

I've read up to about posting 200. I'll pick it up again tomorrow. I can't stop laughing. I remember just about all of them. I took all of these sayings with me to Coventry when I was 15 and youths thought I was wappy. I'll try to contribute after I've scratch me head.

David, re #1296, Batley up 'ere in West Yorkshire is the Shoddy capital of the UK,( some say in more ways than one), but there are still mills there turning out shoddy for the textile trade in just about the same way since the early 1800's when the process originated.

• Upvote 1

Break something or not do it right etc and the common response in our family was:- You've put the kibosh on that, haven't you.

Another one was the word for face.....Jeez, you've got an ugly fizzog.